cardoctor71
cardoctor71, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE MasterCertified Technician with 35 years xperience diagnosing and repairing all makes and models of cars and trucks.
36867192

Are there /low pressure switches on a 1994 Honda accord lx

Customer Question

Are there hi/low pressure switches on a 1994 Honda accord lx sedan 4cyl? My car starts fine and runs but once the ac compressor kicks on it kicks off and the rpm drops and the car dies.
Category: Honda
Expert:  cardoctor71 replied 2 years ago.
This would most likely be an idle stop solenoid failure, not a pressure switch issue, although there are pressure switches in the ac system of your vehicle.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
so where is the idle stop solenoid at?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
because I have put a new icm on.
I will have to do some research and get back to you, respond to my offer for additional services and I can talk to you on the phone for more details.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have put a new IAC valve on. I am busy so I prefer email or text. I will try to be patient lol. I hear the ac compressor clicking on and of right behind each other but then the rpm's drop and it dies. I really don't want to change the ac compressor but if that is it I will.
we will just have to communicate further through the site, It sounds as if you have more than one issue to diagnose, what are the a/c pressures, what is the ambient temperature? Have you tried to isolate the compressor by removing the belt temporarily, and see if idle issue is the same or better?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am working on a problem for awhile. I will give you some history of the car. I first would be interment of starting. I replaced the transmission solenoid. I replaced the Ignition Control Module (ICM). I have replaced the Engine Control Module (ECM) all in that order. Now the car has started fine in the last three days but once the AC is on and the compressor clicks on it clicks off seconds after. When clicked on the rpms drop and unless my foot is on the accelerator it will die. I hope this helps a bit because I have but a used AC compressor but I don't feel like heading that way yet.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ambient temperature, how do I check for that and no I haven't messed is isolating the compressor yet.
Ambient temp is the temperature outside, in your area at a given time, you must verify the a/c is full of freon, by measuring the pressures by utilizing a/c guages, Then isolate the compressor by removing the belt and see if, when, the ac is commanded on, the vehicle still tries to die with the belt removed, you will only do this for a very short time, because the belt will be removed. If you need further assistance please agree to my offer of a phone call. I have been repairing vehicles of all makes and models for over 30 years, I can walk you through the troubleshooting process over the phone.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I will isolate the compressor tomorrow and get back with you. I will not do a phone conversation and I am sorry. I have to many tours overseas (Iraq) and I do not like a lot of people or conversation. So I am assuming now from my first question there are no in line hi/low pressure switches? If the car still dies with out the belt on the compressor then it isn't the compressor?
Its OK I am a fellow veteran from before IRAQ, but anyways you are correct, the purpose of isolating the compressor is to see if the issue is something other than the compressor, such as other electrical malfunctions.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I will get back with you tomorrow and thank you for the help and your service as well. I retire soon after 23 years.
I will contact you tomorrow on the site, just request me, and i will respond