Fixitman
Fixitman, Technician /Advisor
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, AA Auto/Diesel Technology,
1627031

I just bought a 01 Honda accord with a 2.3 liter vtec

Customer Question

Hi, I just bought a 01 Honda accord with a 2.3 liter vtec engine. I have 2 issues, 1st is I am getting a P1259 DTC but the solinoid looks new. You can start it and take off hard and the engine will Rev over 4000, blow blue smoke out of exhaust at around
5000, then after it shifts it won't Rev over 4000. You can stop, shut engine off, restart and it does the same thing. I have a new vtec solinoid but don't want to install it if that isn't the problem. 2nd when the car shifts fron 1st to 2nd there is a hesitation/
slip before it shifts. Could this be a solinoid as well? Please help!
Category: Honda
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The oil level is fine but it is burning oil. I don't think it's getting the gas milage it should either.
Expert:  Fixitman replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is Bobby. Thank you for the question. From what you are explaining the transmission issue can be a result of the variable timing not working right. This car does have a history of transmission issues though. As for the code, most of the time this is caused by the solenoid itself or the oil pressure switch on the valve. If you are blowing smoke from the exhaust though this is an indication of piston ring failure. This can also cause a drop in oil pressure that can cause the vehicle to run like this and the code to come up. How many miles are on this car?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
214,000. It only smokes at high rpm. I would think that if the rings were failing it would smoke all the time. The shift issue is only 1st to 2nd. Fine the rest of the time. The vtec solinoid works the first full throttle pull, then after that it shuts power down at 4000.. Could the cat be clogged and cause this issue? Its only throwing the 1259 code
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The oil pressure switch has been changed and the solinoid looks fairly new. I have a new vvt solinoid but I want to make sure that's the issue before I install it.
Expert:  Fixitman replied 2 years ago.
It is possible that it is the converter. Do you have a vacuum gauge to run some tests?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes.
Expert:  Fixitman replied 2 years ago.
Install the vacuum gauge and check the vacuum at idle. Then hold the throttle to 2500 rpm and check the vacuum reading right when it reaches that rpm and hold it there for about 2 minutes and see what the vacuum gauge does. If it starts to drop at all then the converter is clogged.