Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

I have a 2000 honda civic that floods out and won't start after

Customer Question

I have a 2000 honda civic that floods out and won't start after driving for 30 minutes, the plugs are wet and must be cleaned to get it to start.
Category: Honda
Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
Is the check engine light on? Does it run good otherwise? Thanks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry I had to leave for the rest of the day.
The Honda Civic runs great until you shut off the engine and let it sit for about 30 minutes and then the engine is flooded and won't start.
Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
Is check engine light on ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The fuel injectors have been changed, the fuel filter, the coolant sensor, the main relay, and the distributor, and spark plugs.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The engine light is on, the only code is an egr flow code.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Code is p1491, I can clear the code and it won't come come back on for 45 minutes or so.
Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
Have you checked fuel pressure?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, I have checked the fuel pressure, 42 at idle, 45 key on eng. off , 50 with vac. hose disconnected.
Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
Fuel pressure seems a bit high, replace regulator. Let me know what that changes pressure to. Thanks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I ordered a regulator, won't know results till it comes in tomorrow.
Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
Sounds good, keep me updated. Thanks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I installed a new fuel pressure regulator this morning, fuel pressure dropped to 40 at idle andI still have the same problem I had before, after driving for 30 to 40 minutes the car won't start because it floods the cylinders with fuel after stopping for 15 minutes.
Any ideas?
Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
So it only floods out after shutting down vehicle?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, vehicle runs fine until you shut it off, then it floods out.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It doesn't run rich while driving either, just when you stop the car after driving for 30 minutes. You can drive for 10 or 15 minutes and it does fine.
Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
With new information it sounds like a possible ECM failure. Next time problem happens disconnect ECM right after shutting off vehicle, if this stops it from flooding replace the ECM. Let me know how it goes or if you have more questions, thanks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I tried disconnecting the ecm and it still does the same thing, it doesn't make any sense.
Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
I agree, it doesn't make sense. When vehicle floods verify injector control wire is actually being grounded.