Virtual Wrench
Virtual Wrench, Honda Mechanic
Experience:  35 years Master Mechanic
2617050

CRV: I just took my 2001 Honda . I have 52,000

Customer Question

I just took my 2001 Honda for service. I have 52,000 miles on the car. They said I have a oil leak and it will cost me $134 to run dye through the system to locate it. Then they don't have a clue how much it will cost and may even take up to 10 hours to fix it. Ii noticed on the Internet that this particular model and year that this problem has cause fires in the car. I am on a fixed income and not to have a clue what it is and how much it would cost is difficult. I have not noticed any oil in my garage. Jane Boschen
Category: Honda
Expert:  Virtual Wrench replied 2 years ago.
Hi Jane,
If you are not seeing oil on the floor in the garage then it cant be that big of a leak. A lot of times gaskets will "weep" some oil and show signs of it on the engine but not enough to actually drip off the engine and onto the floor. Thats what this sounds like and for the most part is common but repairable. The problem, like they said, is finding the source of the leak because it can make things look like they are leaking but are not. It's the oil misting across different parts of the engine. The one common area of oil leak on this car is the valve cover gasket and could potentially cause a fire if it were to leak onto the exhaust. I would certainly think they would have told you that though because its pretty easy to see that leak. So,,,bot***** *****ne is there are SO MANY places it can leak it would have to have the dye test in order to pinpoint the source of the leak and that is the starting point for any leak.
I hope i cleared that up a little for you and if you have further questions please feel free to reply.
Best wishes my friend!
Larry