MASTER TECH
MASTER TECH, Honda Service Technician
Experience:  28 years of Honda training and a master Honda tech
10834442

CRV: 2002 Honda CRV 2.4 Tech Engine. The Honda came into my

Customer Question

2002 Honda CRV 2.4 Tech Engine. The Honda came into my shop with cam and crank sensor codes and the engine is very clean inside.441,000 miles on this lil puppy and my students replaced the timing chain, all guides, tensioner, vtc solenoid and solenoid pack on the back/RH side cylinder head. The question is this, after making repairs ,the system jumps timing after start up and shut down and restart it jumps timing? The oil pressure is 10psi at idle, after warm-up and 50 on acceleration. I've done this work for 45+ years and have never ran into this problem :-( any suggestions?
Category: Honda
Expert:  justinsbg replied 2 years ago.
Hi,My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help. I leave or work in a few minutes so if I don't respond immediately after you respond please be patient. I have to respond when I have the opportunity during the day. What do you mean the chain jumps timing after shut down? Are you saying that each time you start the engine the chain jumps timing? Does the engine run?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes!! I can set the timing with all the new parts and crank it up, runs like a sewing machine, drive it about 20 or 30 miles and it loses power and check engine light comes on and sets a code for cam signal out. I can reset the timing and its off several teeth and after start up and short drive, does it all over again??

Expert:  justinsbg replied 2 years ago.
It seems like oil pressure is dropping after the engine warms up. Something you could try is switching to a heavier oil. This engine normally uses 5w 20, you could switch to 10w 30. Also, did you use a factory tensioner or after market?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I used all Honda parts and the customer brought us 15w-40 and that's the oil we used, I was told that Honda uses an Outstanding oil pump and they rarely go bad. We dropped the oil pan as well and inspected the pan and Oil pick-up screen. The oil pan was Clean and the pick-up screen was clean as well?

Expert:  justinsbg replied 2 years ago.
This could be a very time consuming issue to diagnose via the internet. I will be away on vacation for a week starting tomorrow and I don't think I will be able to assist you in a timely manner. I will opt out and open this question up for another tech. Please do not rate service until someone else helps you. I have not been paid at this point and won't be unless you rate me positively, so do not rate yet. Thanks for using Just Answer and hopefully another technician will be available soon.
Expert:  MASTER TECH replied 2 years ago.
Hello I am master tech and will be able to assist you
I would like to know if you replaced the vtc cam gear ?sounds like this is the issue here as the cam timing is controlled in vtec when commanded by the pcm.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No I haven't, I felt this might be an issue, didn't know how to test it and verify! I'm Toyota, Lexus,GM, Ford, Chrysler, Dodge and Jeep Certified as well as Master ASE.

well the only thing this does it lock and unlock like the toyota with vvtc
if you look at the gear does it look like a plug is missing ?we have seen these spit that plug out and it will eject the spring.