HondaPlatinum
HondaPlatinum, A Technician
Experience:  13 year honda platinum level
3827149

Honda: 98 Honda Accord lx 3.0 vetch. Code po170 an 171. Replaced

Customer Question

98 Honda Accord lx 3.0 vetch. Code po170 an 171. Replaced O2 sensor an connector-was broken. Also replaced distributor cap, rotor, ignition module, coil , plugs an wires, mas sensor, tps sensor. Idles fine but when you give it gas it sputters an wants to stall. And a little hard to start Could it be the idle air control valve ? Also this happens when engine is cold.
Category: Honda
Expert:  HondaPlatinum replied 2 years ago.
This is all due the the valves being out of adjustment or a bad fuel pressure regulator were any of these checked ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Fuel pressure regulator replaced. Valves not checked though. How would I do that?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Also. Egr valve is about 2 years old. Could that be the issue?
Egr gives code p0400. Valves would need to be adjusted to specks when cold. When was the timing belt replaced last?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Don't believe it was ever replaced? Why would timing belt cause po170 an 171?
Because if it jumped time it will cause all sorts of codes if it was never replaced it very well can be it jumped time or the ECM is shorted out. Do you have a p0401 code as well?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No. Only po 170 and 171. Car runs fine when engine is warm. A little hesitation when accelerating though.
Honestly sounds like a bad Egr valve and clogged ports I'd check that next if there is still and issued check these values to find your issue here's the link. <a href="http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/HondaCB77/2009-06-05_152018_451.pdf">ClickHere</a>These are the next steps.
Here you go
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'll check EGR valve and ports and get back to you soon.
Ok thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Still trying to get EGR valve off. Bolts are tight and I don't want to strip them. I'll let you know soon. Also, what's the best way to check the timing belt ? Can I adjust it easily ? Is it hard/ time consuming to replace? Car has 153,000 miles on it and I doubt it's ever been changed.