Honda

Have Honda questions? Ask a Honda repair expert.

I have an 04 crv which feels like it is lagging when I drive…

Customer Question
I have an 04 crv...
I have an 04 crv which feels like it is lagging when I drive and kind of feels like it shakes when I get to about 20 mph. Recently changed out the 02 sensor because I thought that was causing the lag. Now my car idles at over 1000 rpm and the rpms seem to go to about 2000 when I first turn it on
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Honda
Answered in 2 days by:
6/22/2015
Mechanic for Honda: Chris (aka-Moose), Technician replied 2 years ago
Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
I am sorry for the delay in getting a response to you. Sometimes we get alot of customers and just can not keep up. Sometimes you just have to wait for the correct tech to login.Do you even still need help. Sometimes customers seek help elsewhere or figure it out on their own before we get to each and everyone.I am sure I can help a lot or a little at least something if you give me a chance and work with me. I am going to get an answer to you regardless if you reply or not sooner or later.If your concern is urgent reply and let me know and if you have anything more you think will help me, to help you, let me know. I work on here normally 3pm-3am central. Thanks Chris
Help me please. So Chris, I've had my crv for about a year. Since I first got it it was overheating. Took it to a mechanic and he changed out both fans and the fan assembly switch i believe. The car would still overheat when I was idle for an extended period. I would reduce the temp by turning on my ac if I was at a drive thru or something. So I ended up changing the radiator with a different guy and the car didnt overheat anymore. But, he said he bypassed some relay because it looks like he hooked up the sensor from the fan to 2 wires, one leading to the battery negative terminal and the other to a fuse in my car. I didn't think to question it because I was glad my car wasnt overheating. This was about 2 months ago. But since then my car feels like it lags like if the air fuel ratio is off or something. So I thought to switch the upstream 02 sensor which I did. Now my car feels like its dragging even more and the rpms are off since I changed the 02 sensor. Please help.
I also cleaned the throttle body before I changed the 02 sensor and tried doing the idle relearn procedure to no avail
I also changed out the power steering pump before the 02 sensor because it was leaking. No more leak in it. But I think I need to flush it out and refill with honda power steering fluid because it looks like my power steering fluid has a lil bubbles and is kinda loud when I turn. Used Autozone power steering fluid for hondas. I know, not the same thing.
On the overheating concern, turning on the AC should of made it overheat more and faster, however the AC does turn the fan on. So it seesm your overheating issue was the computer not commanding the fan on from the coolant temp reading. It appears the tech did some shady wiring to force the fan to always run when the car is running, which will prevent overheating though it also cools the coolant to much which can make the engine run cold and cause a large temp shock to the block when the thermostat opens and it releaves 210 degree coolant and replaces it with coolant that is drastically lower temp from the fan running all the time. These things can effect the fuel ratio. So I would start it and with the AC off, see if the fan is running when its not needed. Can you try cleaning the MAF sensor, and is it past or near time for a tune up and fuel system service. You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. I normally log in at 3pm and work late. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.Thanks Chris
Can u show me a diagram of where the maf sensor is? And how would I clean that? Also what would cause the computer not to command the fan on from the coolant temp reading?
Im just a diy guy who tries to save a buck or two anytime I can do a job on my own if its not too difficult.
I've worked on a few hondas before so Im a lil familiar of basics like oil changes, spark plugs, tranny fluid change. Mostly just maintenance stuff.
The MAF sensor is between the throttle body and the air filter, I use brake cleaner spray to clean them.An incorrect reading coolant temp sensor, damaged wiring, or faulty computer can result in the fan not running when needed. A scan tool is needed to check these and its going to be impossible to diagnose if its hot wired.
So is there a fix to thag hotwire? Would I just have to buy the sensor that goes connected to that fan and then scan it?
If its hot wired, you would need to remove all of that and wire it back up correct. I would not buy and replace any parts until they have been diagnosed as faulty.
Chris (aka-Moose), Technician