Honda-Man
Honda-Man, Honda Mechanic
Experience:  I have an Associates Degree in Automotive. 10 Years experience on all makes and models. 20 Years Honda only including factory training. Over 30 years total.
75670266

2006 civic ac not working . condenser fan no coming on.

Customer Question

Category: Honda
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer. Do you know if the A/C system is charged to the correct amount? Thanks!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes, 5o psi should engage the compressor. condenser fan not coming on. had a bad clutch and coil, after changing I can apply 12v and engage compressor. no power going to the compressor when ac button pushed thanks
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 2 years ago.
Did you try jumping the pressure switch before or after replacing the the clutch and coil? What else exactly have you tested or tried? Knowing what you have done will help me answer your question.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes. jumping pressure switch makes no difference. relays fuses all good. I assume only one pressure switch on this car?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
sorry. tried jumpin coil before and after. after replacing colil it engaged
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 2 years ago.
Is this the pressure switch?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
tried applying 12volt directly to compressor and jumping the pressure switch early on. after changing clutch and coil the 12volt will engage it,crossing the pressure switch wont
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
clear?
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 2 years ago.
Yes, just a slow typist. OK, I just need to be sure because the pressure switch is actually a sensor. It's a very common misunderstanding that this generation of Civic can be jumped like the previous model. Many online chats and YouTube videos tell people to use this to test. Unfortunately if you do this on your 06' it will damage the ECM/PCM internal circuit. You probably could have replaced the clutch and coil and been good to go but now most likely the ECM/PCM is bad. I see this happen all the time, sorry. The circuit in the ECM/PCM is not meant to be jumped since it's a low voltage circuit. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you. Your satisfaction and accepting my service or providing a positive rating is what I work for! If you can't rate in this way please let me know so I can continue to help. A positive rating is the only way the site will compensate me for helping you. You can still ask follow-up questions after the rating.Thanks again! ~Honda-Man
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
what am I suppose to do with that info?? this ac did not work when we got the car. I don't believe the pcm is bad altrhough nothing is impossible. what other functions wouldn't work does the pcm control the ac only??
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 2 years ago.
No, the powertrain control module is for the engine and transmission if it's a automatic. It does a wide variety of tasks besides controlling the A/C. It controls the A/C because it shuts off the compressor for hard acceleration to improve power. It also shuts off the A/C if the engine is overheating. The sensor circuit is not protected by a fuse or breaker because it's not meant to be jumped. PCM is also called a ECU. I know it seems complicated.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
so you are saying I can stop right hear and change the ecm pcm and all is good?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
how about the fans not engaging?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
sorry just opened that link.... that not this car no sensor like that
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 2 years ago.
Is this a 06' Civic?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
again sorry was looking at it wrong. yes it is
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 2 years ago.
OK, the fans won't come on either. The sensor circuit also tells the fans to come on. I have seen this at least half a dozen times here online.
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 2 years ago.
All I know is if the sensor is jumped it can and usually does damage the PCM.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
are you finished? that actually seems like a guess. I am trying to diagnose this. can you open this to another expert??/ thanks
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 2 years ago.
You said you jumped the pressure sensor connector. I know for a fact it can damage the PCM. Sorry I could not answer your question. I will open it up to the other experts.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no problem, I just cant stop testing there. if the pcm ecm is bad I need to diagnose that . not just guess and replace it. thanks