Honda

Have Honda questions? Ask a Honda repair expert.

CRV: i have a 2007 CRV. The ac stopped blowing cool air yesterday.

Customer Question
i have a 2007 CRV...
i have a 2007 CRV. The ac stopped blowing cool air yesterday. I had just filled the freon the day before. Maybe put too much in. What steps can I take to diagnoss. I didn't hear a loud noise
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Honda
6/18/2015
Mechanic for Honda: Tim Mohr, ASE Master Tech replied 3 years ago
Tim Mohr, ASE Master Tech
Hi, my name is ***** ***** you fill the system yourself?
Yes, I filled myself
what were the high and low side pressures? After you filled it? how much did you put in?
I didn't check the high side. The low side started at 25 and i filled to 55
55 is too high, it should be 35 when idling and the a/c on, you need to drain the freon and put the exact amount in it, how much did you put in it?
i put in about 6-8 oz
the problem with filling these with the do it yourself kits, is you have no way of knowing how much is in the system all ready, it is obviously over full now, so you will need to evacuate the system, and put the correct amount in, in this vehicle, it hold 17 ounces, no more, no less, Tim
I evacuated the system and added about 8 oz. The fan starts when I turn the ac on. But, I don't think the clutch engages. Also, when I hit max ac, the ac doesn't bo more air
when did you evacuate it, today??? can you start from the beginning including why you charged it to begin with?
My daughter's car (not the one in question) had an o ring leak. I fixed hers and added freon to the CRV. It worked fine for about an hour. Then, it was blowing hot air. So today, i pushed in the valve to let all the pressure out. Added about 8 oz of freon. Now the fan starts when I turn the ac on. But, I don't think the clutch is engaging. Didn't hear a loud sound when the ac stopped working.
ok, we need to see if you have power at the compressor, when the a/c is on, do you have a test light or a volt meter?
yes
ok, can you see if there is power at the compressor when the a/c is on?
how do i do that
with the voltmeter, probe the wire at the compressor, and turn the a/c on, and see if it has 12 volts,Tim
On the 2007 CRV, I have to take the front end off to get to it. Is there another option?