George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech 15+ years
13574682

CRV: My 98 CRV has VERY squeaky clutch pedal. My mechanic sprayed

Customer Question

My 98 CRV has VERY squeaky clutch pedal. My mechanic sprayed some grease in there somewhere (pivot point?) and made it quieter for a but but then it came back louder than before.
Category: Honda
Expert:  George H. replied 2 years ago.
Hello I will help you with your question,
The way to get this noise stopped is to replace the master cylinder.
This is a fairly simple job taking about an hour and the part cost is about $60.
Since the lube didn't work replacing the master will.
Please let me know how I can help
Thank you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Replacing the master cylinder did not fix the very loud squeak. Any other ideas?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Definitely seems like it is inside the cabin and not in the cylinder or other side of firewall.
Expert:  George H. replied 2 years ago.
You have lubed the bushings where the pedal pivots and replaced the clutch master. If it is only in the clutch then you will need to pull the pedal assembly to see what bushings need to be replaced. Swapping the whole assembly would be easier than trying to repair this one. IT is labor intensive to get it off the firewall. Please let me know how I can help Thank you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
How many hours of mechanic time do you estimate for this pedal switch to a used part with good bushings?
Expert:  George H. replied 2 years ago.
There is no "book" time for this but I would expect at least 3 hours.
It would help if you can narrow down the location, if you can't localize the noise with a paper towel tube to your ear try laying your fingertip on the bracket and pedal as you make the noise. You should feel the vibrations and be able to home in on the source.
Please let me know what I can do to help
Thank you