Honda

Have Honda Questions? Ask a Honda Repair Expert.

Honda

CRV-EX: I have a 2003 Honda CRV-EX. The key wouldn't go in

Customer Question
I have a 2003 Honda...
I have a 2003 Honda CRV-EX. The key wouldn't go in ignition so we installed a new ignition switch. The car will turn over but will not start. We checked the fuses, battery, spark plugs. Don't know what else to try. Driver door lock will not accept old key but all other doors will.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Honda
6/8/2015
Mechanic for Honda: MASTER TECH, Honda Technician replied 2 years ago
MASTER TECH
MASTER TECH, Honda Technician
Hello welcome to just answer I'm Master Tech and will be able to assist you today.
the issue here is the ignition switch has a security ring around the key you need to transfer the parts to the new switch or you will have to program the new ignition switch to the pcm.
Not sure what you are talking about. We purchased and installed the whole module with new keys.
ok then this will have to be towed to the dealer to be programmed then since your not able to transfer the security parts off the old switch to the new.
their is not much more that can be done with out the programming.
My husband is attempting this right now. I will get back with you in a few minutes to see if it works.
ok the problem now is the old switch has the original keys and these will not work with the new switch assembly.
so the options are limited now unless he can swap the parts over and then tap the old key side by side to the new key and it may allow it to start.but regardless it will still have to be programmed.
My husband tried that & it did not work. I'm sorry but your advise was not helpful. If we had the money to take it to the dealer we wouldn't be driving a 2003. I am signing off now & expect to pay only the $5.00
sorry this didnt work for you.
before the install the parts store should have informed you that this was needed also so you could be prepared for this problem if you were not able to get the key programmed.
the dealer will charge a 1 hour reprogramming fee to complete this service for you.
wish you the best of luck on this.
Dino
MASTER TECH
MASTER TECH
MASTER TECH, Honda Technician