Fixitman
Fixitman, Technician /Advisor
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, AA Auto/Diesel Technology,
1627031

Camry: I have a problem with a loud growling sound from the

Customer Question

I have a problem with a loud growling sound from the front of my vehicle at cranking and initial take off then it goes away. When I stop and take off again it comes back. There is a thick white smoke that comes from my exhaust at first start for the day. I've also just recently noticed I seem to lose power when I'm trying to accelerate to high speeds. 2002 Toyota Camry, 4cyl, front wheel drive, 174K miles
Category: Honda
Expert:  Fixitman replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is***** for the question. If I am not online when you return please give me some time to get back to you. Can you tell me if the check engine light is coming on? Does the noise only seem to occur during acceleration?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The check engine light is not on. The noise goes away while I'm driving. It's only heard at cranking, when pressing the acceleration from a stop (whether idled or parked) and that's going forward or in reverse. Also, the A/C sometimes stops blowing cold while I'm driving so I turn the a/c off for about a minute and back on, then it blows cold again. Not sure if all the issues are related to the same problem or not.
Expert:  Fixitman replied 2 years ago.
Thank you. Does the noise seem to change depending on if the a/c is on or not?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The noise is constant with a/c on or off
Expert:  Fixitman replied 2 years ago.
Thank you. It sounds like you may have different issues here. The smoke typically comes from failed valve guide seals. This is common on this engine. The noise you are hearing it either an internal transmission bearing failure or a failure in the timing chain.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your assistance. Looks like I'll be paying a visit to the dealership.
Expert:  Fixitman replied 2 years ago.
No problem. If you need further assistance please let me know. Please also rate when you can. Thank you.