Honda

Have Honda Questions? Ask a Honda Repair Expert.

Honda

Civic dx: Engine will crank but will not start I tested for

Customer Question
Engine will crank but will...
Engine will crank but will not start I tested for spark with spark test tool did not see any spark. Checked for power to Ecu fuse will cranking engine did not see any power at the fuse. What could be the problem here ? Also checked for power to the ignition coil there was no power before & while crank over the engine
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Honda
6/2/2015
Mechanic for Honda: Steve, Honda Mechanic replied 2 years ago
Steve
Steve, Honda Mechanic
One thing I would like you to check is if the check engine light comes on for 2 seconds when you turn the key on.
Yes it does but stays on
OK, listen and tell me if you hear a relay under the dash click after 2 seconds.
Have you checked for fuel pressure yet?
No I do not hear a click just the audible alarm . No I have not checked the fuel pressure . What should that be ?
If you are not hearing a click you could have a bad main relay. The main relay powers up the ECM and fuel pump.
Fuel pressure should be 40-45psi.
Do you have any fault codes set?
Where is the Main relay located ? How do I test the fuel pressure ? I don't see a shrader valve at the end of the fuel rail . No I don't have code tester that connects to the OBD 1 system
Ok I can hear the relay click now but there is no delay I have located the relay under the dash near the fuse box I can put my hand on it & hear I feel it click when I turn the Ignition switch on. What do I check next ? One other thing I forgot to mention is that the shifter will not move out of park without putting a key or something into the shift lock release slot. This is when the problem of not starting seemed to occur
Are you still there ?
Hello What happened to you ?

Sorry I have been away from the computer.

You do not need a scan tool to check codes on this car.

This PDF HERE will show you how to check for codes.

I connected the jumper wire this did not change anything the check engine light remained on & did not flash. What next ?
Could the problem be an ignition module ?
I do not think it is but could be. The thing that gets me is the check engine light does not go off. Even if the ignition module was bad the fuel pump should still run for 2 seconds when you first turn the key on.
Here is a troubleshooting chart you can work through. You will have to improvise because of the break out box,just follow the link.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/syb5hldnmgqvbbr/93%20CIVIC%20NO%20START.pdf?dl=0

The troubleshooting chart was not much help . Any other ideas ? This getting to be a frustrating project.

I know it can be. It is also tough without being at the car.
Have you done any recent work to the car?

1. No it belongs to a friend of mine it has been sitting for about a year due to it not starting. He has someone that wants to buy it if it is running. So he decided to have me take a look at . Not having schematic or flow chart or understanding of how this system works is making this difficult to diagnose the problem. I'm not seeing any power at the ecu fuse no spark & no power to the injectors. Is this controlled by the main relay ? If so Where is located & how do I check weather it is good or bad ? Why does the check engine light stay on in the dash ? What controls this ? If we can work together on this & get it figured out I will leave a good tip

I will keep trying to help you. My day ends here at work so I may not get back to you until tomorrow. I will get some schematics together for you.

Ok

Look for my reply tomorrow.

Let me know if fuse 31 in this pdf. is the one with no power.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/aqedjtisooluva8/93%20CIVIC%20FUSES.pdf?dl=0
How should I be testing this ? Check for power across the fuse or to one of the two terminals ?
You should be checking with a volt meter or test light.
Touch one of the contacts on the top of the fuse and the other lead to ground. You should have 12 volts or the light should light up. Do the same with the other contact on the top of the fuse.
You can also remove the fuse and look at the fuse part inside to make sure it is intact.

I have approximately 12.4 volts at the volt meter when checking that way at all the fuses

OK, that tells us the ECU fuse is good.
The ECU fuse should also have power when cranking. I know you said in your question originally it did not.
HondaPlatinum
HondaPlatinum
HondaPlatinum, A Technician