Honda

Have Honda questions? Ask a Honda repair expert.

I need change the R12 AC system now in the car to a R134 system.

Customer Question
What part do I need...
I need change the R12 AC system now in the car to a R134 system. What part do I need to convert the system and their cost?
1989 Honda Civic 1.5V4, Automatic transmission, VIN# ***** AC unit in the car at this time.
Thanks
Harlan Perdew *****
Manteca,Ca.95336 (###) ###-####***@******.***
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Honda
6/1/2015
Mechanic for Honda: MASTER TECH, Honda Technician replied 3 years ago
MASTER TECH
MASTER TECH, Honda Technician
Hello welcome to just answer I'm Master Tech and will be able to assist you today.
Honda sells a conversion kit for this and will include the oil and new line adapters.
you will need to follow the direction completely and use a a/c machine to complete this task.
do you have access to this a/c machine ?
I have contacted Honda with no help.They say the car is to old.
im trying to load the service bulletin it contains the part #
38020-SM4-A1AH
OK thanks I will try that part number.Thank very muck for your help! Harlan
you can get a conversion kit from the parts store that is made by castrol but I personally have no experience with these. the Honda kit comes with the correct oil for this conversion as each compressor does use a different oil.
Thanks again!!!!!!!
here is the service bulletin \.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/n2fzonk13hyo1nf/a-c%20conversion%20r12%20to%20r%20134a.pdf?dl=0
I do ask that you please rate my service.
I do my best to earn excellent ratings as a Honda tech I do take this very serious and will give the most up to date info.