Honda

Have Honda Questions? Ask a Honda Repair Expert.

Honda

Element: 2008 Element 78k miles shows intermittant fire and

Customer Question
2008 Element 78k miles shows...
2008 Element 78k miles shows intermittant fire and orange soark
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Honda
Answered in 1 day by:
5/26/2015
Mechanic for Honda: Pete, Auto Service Technician replied 2 years ago
Pete, Auto Service Technician
My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.
One common component to fail and cause this issue here is the ignition coil relay itself.If this relay is acting up this causes an intermittent spark issue like this here.Below is the procedure for a spark issue to see if you can pinpoint the cause.
1. Check the No. 16 (15 A) fuse in the under-dash fuse/relay box.
Is the fuse OK?
YES - Reinstall the fuse, then go to step 2.
NO - Replace the fuse. If the fuse continues to blow, locate and repair the short in the circuit between the under-dash fuse/relay box and the ignition coils.
2. Remove the ignition coil relay, and test it.
Is the relay OK?
YES - Go to step 3.
NO - Replace the ignition coil relay.
3. Measure the voltage between ignition coil relay 4P socket terminal No. 2 and body ground, then terminal No. 4 and body ground.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/xej51zks7ybwge0/i-05-26.gif?dl=0
Is there battery voltage?
YES - Go to step 4.
NO - Repair the open in the wire between under-dash fuse/relay box and ignition coil relay.
4. Check for continuity between ignition coil relay 4P socket terminal No. 1 and each ignition coil 3P connector terminal No. 3.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/7uvstek8fqvqc96/ig-05-26.gif?dl=0
Is there continuity?
YES - Go to step 5.
NO - Repair open in the wire between ignition coil relay 4P socket terminal No. 1 and each ignition coil 3P connector terminal No. 3.
5. Check for continuity between each ignition coil 3P connector terminal No. 2 and body ground.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ny04womqnjvf61u/ign-05-26.gif?dl=0
Is there continuity?
YES - Go to step 6.
NO - Repair open in the wire between ignition coil 3P connector terminal No. 2 and body ground.
6. Connect the Honda Diagnostic System (HDS) to the data link connector (DLC).
7. Turn the ignition switch ON (II).
8. Make sure the HDS communicates with the vehicle and the engine control module (ECM) powertrain control module (PCM). If it doesn't communicate, troubleshoot DLC circuit.
9. Jump the SCS line with the HDS, then turn the ignition switch OFF.
NOTE: This step must be done to protect the ECM/PCM from damage.
10. Disconnect ECM/PCM connector E (31P).
11. Check for continuity between ignition coil relay 4P socket terminal No. 3 and body ground.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/d74aju7xyazlfze/igni-05-26.gif?dl=0
Is there continuity?
YES - Repair short in the wire between ignition coil relay 4P socket terminal No. 3 and the ECM/PCM (E7).
NO - Go to step 12.
12. Check for continuity between ignition coil relay 4P socket terminal No. 3 and the ECM/PCM connector terminal E7.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/8prvhxog8ry4w6h/ignit-05-26.gif?dl=0
Is there continuity?
YES - The system is OK at this time. Check for loose or poor connections at the ignition coil relay and the ECM/PCM (E7).
NO - Repair open in the wire between ignition coil relay 4P socket terminal No. 3 and the ECM/PCM (E7).
There is a chance the engine computer is the cause here but usually the ignition coil is at fault.
Thanks Pete
Pete, Auto Service Technician