Fixitman
Fixitman, Technician /Advisor
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, AA Auto/Diesel Technology,
1627031

Accord: My 2011 Honda Accord starting sounding like a helicopter

Customer Question

My 2011 Honda Accord starting sounding like a helicopter on my way home from the airport. The noise was deafening but the car ran fine. No problem with tires. No noise revving the engine in park or neutral.
Category: Honda
Expert:  Fixitman replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is***** for the question. If I am not online when you return please give me some time to get back to you. Can you tell me if the noise changed directly relating to the speed of the vehicle? How were the tires checked? Was the car parked for a period of time?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hello Bobby, The noise got louder as the car went faster. I was traveling around 65mph when the noise started out of nowhere. I thought a large truck was behind me. I did not know it was my car because I didn't feel any difference in the drive. I don't think the noise changed directly with the speed of the vehicle. It was really loud until I decelerated to about 15 mph. My friend who is a mechanic put the car up on jack stands and checked to see if there was an exhaust problem or a tire problem. He visually and physically inspected the tires to see if there were any flat spots or to see if maybe I picked something up on the road. negative to both. We put the car in gear while it was up on the jacks and the tires spun with no problem and no noise. When I was driving on the parkway at 50 to 65 mph and took my foot off the gas, the noise remained constant. It really sounds like an exhaust leak that is unrelated to the revving of the engine. The entire time I was driving at 65 to 70 mph, the rpms remained close to 2000.
Expert:  Fixitman replied 2 years ago.
Thank you. Was the car not driven for a while prior to this?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The car is not driven often because I have two hondas but it has been driven fairly regularly for the past three or four weeks without a problem.
Expert:  Fixitman replied 2 years ago.
Thank you. This is what it sounds like when a tire is having an internal issue. You may have a steel belt that has shifted internally. I would rotate the tires from front to back and from side to side. See if there is any change at all. If there is then it is the tires. If not then you may have a problem with the transmission. Hearing the noise would help.