Honda-Man
Honda-Man, Honda Mechanic
Experience:  I have an Associates Degree in Automotive. 10 Years experience on all makes and models. 20 Years Honda only including factory training. Over 30 years total.
75670266

Just replaced Compressor because it was going bad. Now, the

Customer Question

Just replaced Compressor because it was going bad. Now, the Compressor won't turn on.
Category: Honda
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Compressor was installed by a mechanic. He checked the A/C Clutch relay and the low pressure switch.
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 2 years ago.
Hello, year and model of your Honda?Did it work before? Thanks, Honda-Man
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
2008 Honda Civic. It did work, but only for a few minutes at first and then would blow hot air. Now a new compressor is installed and it doesn't work. Xtremely frustrated.
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 2 years ago.
Is there power going to the compressor clutch?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I assume there is since it kicks on when the relay is jumped
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 2 years ago.
Do you know how the pressure switch was checked? Your Civic uses a pressure sensor not a pressure switch.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No, I don't
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 2 years ago.
If the sensor is improperly jumped(tested) to make the compressor run it can fry the engine control unit. This will either make the A/C inoperative or cause the engine to quit running.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm pretty sure he didn't jump the sensor.
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 2 years ago.
Lets hope not. It looks like the pressure switch and is in the same location. It takes the place of the older pressure switch but is a sensor.
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 2 years ago.
Do the fans come on when the A/C is turned on? Knowing this will help narrow down the cause.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No, they do not.
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 2 years ago.
OK, either the system is not charged, not charged enough or there is an electrical problem with the compressor relay controls.If the compressor came on when the relay socket was jumped the compressor clutch, compressor clutch fuse and wiring are OK.Check fuse #36 (10a) in the under-dash fuse box. This fuse is for the relay control.Swap the fan relay with the compressor relay to see if the compressor will come on. The relays go bad all of the time.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok I will. Are the fan relay and compressor relay under dash or under hood?
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 2 years ago.
Under the hood. Under the fuse box cover the relay's are indicated with a snow flake(compressor) and fan symbols. Compressor relay is #12 and fan relay is #3
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Haven't been able to pull the under dash fuse #36. Do I need a fuse puller or is there an easy trick?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Just checked and swapped fuses. Fans won't turn on
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 2 years ago.
There should be a fuse puller under the under-hood fuse box lid or pushed into the under-dash fuse box. A small pointed knife works too. Do you mean relay's?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok I just checked fuse 36 and swapped the relays and fans won't turn on.
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 2 years ago.
Is the ignition on and is the fan inside on?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, ignition is on and fan inside is on.
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 2 years ago.
I am trying to find suggestions that you can do. Most of my diagnostic tests require the Honda HDS scan tool. Is the check engine light on? Some codes will keep the A/C from working.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No, but the airbag light is on.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The fans did turn on for 30 Seconds
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 2 years ago.
OK, Not sure what to suggest next? The ECU controls the compressor relay using the pressure sensor as an input. Did the compressor kick on? try it running.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
This sucks.
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 2 years ago.
Yes I agree, sorry I have not been of more help. The A/C system is controlled by the ECU to improve fuel economy so it's harder to diagnose than older systems. Honda diagnosis requires the use of the HDS tool to avoid damaging the ECU during testing. You could have the dealer diagnose the problem for you then you can do the repair to save money. Hope this won't stand in the way of a positive rating. Thanks for allowing me to assist you, Cliff