Honda

Have Honda questions? Ask a Honda repair expert.

Just replaced Compressor because it was going bad. Now, the…

Customer Question
Just replaced Compressor because it...
Just replaced Compressor because it was going bad. Now, the Compressor won't turn on.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Honda
Compressor was installed by a mechanic. He checked the A/C Clutch relay and the low pressure switch.
5/21/2015
Mechanic for Honda: Honda-Man, Honda Mechanic replied 3 years ago
Honda-Man
Honda-Man, Honda Mechanic
Hello, year and model of your Honda?Did it work before? Thanks, Honda-Man
2008 Honda Civic. It did work, but only for a few minutes at first and then would blow hot air. Now a new compressor is installed and it doesn't work. Xtremely frustrated.
Is there power going to the compressor clutch?
I assume there is since it kicks on when the relay is jumped
Do you know how the pressure switch was checked? Your Civic uses a pressure sensor not a pressure switch.
No, I don't
If the sensor is improperly jumped(tested) to make the compressor run it can fry the engine control unit. This will either make the A/C inoperative or cause the engine to quit running.
I'm pretty sure he didn't jump the sensor.
Lets hope not. It looks like the pressure switch and is in the same location. It takes the place of the older pressure switch but is a sensor.
Do the fans come on when the A/C is turned on? Knowing this will help narrow down the cause.
No, they do not.
OK, either the system is not charged, not charged enough or there is an electrical problem with the compressor relay controls.If the compressor came on when the relay socket was jumped the compressor clutch, compressor clutch fuse and wiring are OK.Check fuse #36 (10a) in the under-dash fuse box. This fuse is for the relay control.Swap the fan relay with the compressor relay to see if the compressor will come on. The relays go bad all of the time.
Ok I will. Are the fan relay and compressor relay under dash or under hood?
Haven't been able to pull the under dash fuse #36. Do I need a fuse puller or is there an easy trick?
Just checked and swapped fuses. Fans won't turn on
There should be a fuse puller under the under-hood fuse box lid or pushed into the under-dash fuse box. A small pointed knife works too. Do you mean relay's?
Ok I just checked fuse 36 and swapped the relays and fans won't turn on.
Is the ignition on and is the fan inside on?
Yes, ignition is on and fan inside is on.
I am trying to find suggestions that you can do. Most of my diagnostic tests require the Honda HDS scan tool. Is the check engine light on? Some codes will keep the A/C from working.
No, but the airbag light is on.
The fans did turn on for 30 Seconds
OK, Not sure what to suggest next? The ECU controls the compressor relay using the pressure sensor as an input. Did the compressor kick on? try it running.
This sucks.
Yes I agree, sorry I have not been of more help. The A/C system is controlled by the ECU to improve fuel economy so it's harder to diagnose than older systems. Honda diagnosis requires the use of the HDS tool to avoid damaging the ECU during testing. You could have the dealer diagnose the problem for you then you can do the repair to save money. Hope this won't stand in the way of a positive rating. Thanks for allowing me to assist you, Cliff