Honda

Have Honda questions? Ask a Honda repair expert.

Element: I have a 2003 Honda Element. It is idling high and…

Customer Question
I have a 2003 Honda...
I have a 2003 Honda Element. It is idling high and the rpm is surging. I removed the tube from the air cleaner box to the throttle body and stuck my finger over the hole before the throttle plate. The idle returned to normal. Does this mean I have a vacuum leak?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Honda
5/20/2015
Mechanic for Honda: Honda-Man, Honda Mechanic replied 3 years ago
Honda-Man
Honda-Man, Honda Mechanic
Welcome to JustAnswer. The port you covered is the inlet for the idle air control valve(IAC). It's common for the valve to stick partially open and cause the high idle and surge. Some of my customers have limited success cleaning the IAC but in most cases replacing the IAC is required to fix your problem. I have also seen this problem myself and replacing the IAC was the fix. In this diagram the IAC or rotary air valve is #1. If you have any other questions feel free to ask!Thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you. Your satisfaction and a positive rating is what I work for! Please accept or provide a positive rating. If you can't rate please let me know so I can continue to help. A positive rating is the only way the site will compensate me for helping you. You can still ask questions after the rating.~Honda-Man
Honda man,
Because I disconnected the battery to try and reset the code the radio is now locked. Can you help with that?
I can't give you the code but I can help you get it. There should be a sticker in the glove box with the serial number or 5 digit code number. Sometimes the code is written in the warranty book, owners manual, or service history booklet. If not you can get the serial number from the radio display and use this site to get the code number. The site explains how to get the serial number and enter the code. Please remember to rate my service in a positive way. Thank you, Honda-Man
Okay thanks for the tip on the radio. I have the throttle body removed and the ICV is filthy. I have sprayed it down and I am letting it sit for a few minutes. I will reinstall and let you know what happens.
Sounds good.
The RPM now goes straight to redline.
Is the throttle cable too tight? Remove the intake tube and see if the throttle valve is hanging open. If it looks OK the IAC is probably bad.
The throttle cable is good. Is there any other steps before replacing the ICV?
Found the radio code and fixed it. Thanks
The ICV is not on the shelf I will have to order.
Sorry for the delay. If the throttle valve is not hanging open it must have a bad IAC.