Honda-Man
Honda-Man, Honda Mechanic
Experience:  I have an Associates Degree in Automotive. 10 Years experience on all makes and models. 20 Years Honda only including factory training. Over 30 years total.
75670266

Civic: 97 honda civic, occasionally (every few weeks, while

Customer Question

97 honda civic, occasionally (every few weeks, while driving, the radio dims, car loses power, and quits. the battery is dead and must be charged or the car jump started.Then it runs fine for another few weeks. Battery and alternator test good. Any ideas? thanks Joe
Category: Honda
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
replaced the battery ground, cleaned both terminals
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer. There is a service bulletin about the voltage regulator intermittently failing. It is more for dimming of the lights but still can cause your problem. It could be testing good just by chance. Another possibility is loose alternator pivot bolt. This can cause an intermittent loose ground for the alternator. Have you checked the charging voltage when it is acting up? Thanks, Honda-Man
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 2 years ago.
There really isn't much else that can cause your problem. Bad alternator, loose poor alternator ground, or loose belt. My guess is the alternator voltage regulator is intermittently failing.
If you have any other questions feel free to ask!
Thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you. Your satisfaction and a positive rating is what I work for! Please accept or provide a positive rating. If you can't rate please let me know so I can continue to help.
~Honda-Man