Honda

Have Honda Questions? Ask a Honda Repair Expert.

Honda

How do I remove alternator on 2006 Honda odyssey ex?

3/25/2013
Amedee
Amedee, Former ASE Master Technician
Hello and welcome to Just Answer!

My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with your question.

Here are the instructions to remove and replace the alternator.

2006 ODYSSEY - Alternator Removal and Installation

Removal
Make sure you have the anti-theft codes for the radio and the navigation system, then write down the customer's audio presets. Make sure the ignition switch is OFF.
Disconnect the negative cable from the battery first, then disconnect the positive cable.
Remove the intake manifold cover.
Remove the drive belt.
Remove the harness clamp, then remove the bracket.
Disconnect the alternator connector and BLK wire from the alternator.
Remove the bolt, then disconnect the A/C suction line clamp and the A/C receiver line stay.
Remove the washer reservoir mount bolt.
Remove the mounting bolt and alternator bracket mounting bolt, then remove the alternator.

Installation
Install the alternator, then tighten the mounting bolt and alternator bracket mounting bolt.
Install the washer reservoir mount bolt.
Install the A/C suction line clamp and the A/C receiver line stay.
Connect the alternator connector and BLK wire to the alternator.
Install the bracket, then install the harness clamp .
Install the drive belt.
Install the intake manifold cover.
Connect the positive cable to the battery first, then connect the negative cable.
Enter the anti-theft codes for the radio and the navigation system, then enter the customer's audio presets.

Set the clock.

I hope this helps! Please don't forget to rate my answer as "excellent service" for answering your question today.

Regards

Amedee
Amedee
Amedee, Former ASE Master Technician
Do you have any pictures? Is there a special tool to remove serpentine belt?
Mark,

I can send you some pictures but it will take a bit to send them all.

I can also send you the procedure for removing and replacing the serpentine belt.

Is that OK?
Will it be more money?
No.. it will not be an extra charge.
please send them.

Mark,

Here are the pics for the alternator removal. I will send the info about the serpentine belt in my next reply.

graphic
graphic
graphic

Mark,

According to the directions to remove and replace the drive belt, there is a special tool. The special tool is "Belt tension release tool Snap-on YA9317 or equivalent". However, you can use a alternative tool. You don't need to use the exact special tool. Just as long as it is able to release the tension from the serp belt tensioner, it will do the trick.

Here is the procedure to remove and replace the drive belt.

Move the auto-tensioner with the belt tension release tool to relieve tension from the drive belt, then remove the drive belt.
Install the new belt in the reverse order of removal.
Insert a hexagon socket wrench into the drive belt auto-tensioner, and slowly turn the wrench in the direction of the rotation arrow, then remove the drive belt.
NOTE: This is a hydraulic type auto-tensioner, so you must turn the wrench slowly.

I am glad I could help! It has been a pleasure assisting you with your question. Please don't forget to rate my answer as "excellent service" so I get credit for the time and knowledge that I have shared with you in a timely manner.

If you have any further questions, again, please feel free to use the reply button and I will reply back asap. In addition, please allow time between answers as I may be off line spending time with my family or assisting other customers.

You can always request me by using the link through my profile page. Just Click on "AMEDEE" next to my picture and enter your question in the question box on the left hand side of the screen below my profile picture and I will be sure to respond back in a timely manner.

Thanks in advance!

Best Regards

Amedee
There is very little space to get the alternator out. Are u sure I don't have to remove the radiator or ac lines?
Mark,

According ot the directions, no.. you should not have to remove anything else. However, working in a shop for many years, I have learned that the removal and replacement procedures for certain parts are not always accurate. There has been many times where I needed to remove other components that there not present in the directions from the manufacture in order to get a job done. If you find that it will be easier to remove the AC lines or radiator to get the alternator out, then by all means, do so. There is more than one way to remove the alternator.

Glad I can help!
I already rated you and got charged $45! I don't know what else to rate. I am not rating any more things because I don't want to be charged anymore.
Mark,

I am not sure why you would reply back to me and say this because we are all squared up. You do not need to rate me or my answer any more. I did get the rating.. thank you very much!

I keep getting an email saying to rate you.... I also still have a $1 pending on my credit card... like they are waiting for another rating to charge again. maybe you can settle it with on your side?

Mark,

Thank you for letting me know about this. I don't do the billing but I will check into this for you. Sorry for any confusion.
Amedee
Amedee
Amedee, Former ASE Master Technician