Honda

Have Honda Questions? Ask a Honda Repair Expert.

Honda

Honda Accord: I have a older honda with a lot of miles on it

I have a older honda...
I have a older honda with a lot of miles on it and I need a couple big repairs. One is a rack and pinion, the other is a catalytic converter.

One shop quote me $800 for the rack and pinion. Another shop quoted me $500

The first shop quoted me $800 for the catalytic converter, the other one around $400 to $500.

The first shop prides itself on using Honda parts, but it's more expensive than other places I"ve seen.

I also recently went to a mechanic because my brake lights were out. They changed the brake stop switch and charged me $165.00!

Is there any way I can find out what reasonable rates are for auto repairs and what I should expect from auto repair place? I barely have an idea about how much things cost. Please help.
10/9/2012
Mark
Mark, Factory trained
Welcome to JustAnswer Honda, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you today.

Repair costs are broken down in 2 main categories. One is the labor cost to do the repair and the second one is the cost of the parts.

All shops use.......or should use......the industry standard labor guides. These guides layout how much time a particular job should take and this is done to try and normalize the repair costs and one person is not paying more than the other.

For instance, the steering rack on your Accord, pays 3.2 hours labor to replace. So, you would multiply that by the shop's hourly labor rate to get your estimated labor cost.

You can get variations because different shops have different hourly rates, so you need to consider that as well.

The other side of this is the cost of the part. Two different shops might be quoting you prices from 2 different parts suppliers so that can mean a variance as well.

The key here is to get a breakdown of parts and labor and see which is the better deal for you!

I hope that helps, and please let me know how you make out and whether you need any further assistance………..Thanks!!

The purpose of the rating system here on JustAnswer is to compensate your expert for the time they are taking to answer your questions............but it doesn't end our conversation. Please don't neglect to leave positive ratings.......Much Appreciated!!

Mark
Mark, Factory trained
Mark
Mark
Mark, Factory trained