Honda

Have Honda Questions? Ask a Honda Repair Expert.

Honda

1996 Honda Civic LX: sedan..transmission slips..gears..At high speed

Customer Question
1996 Honda Civic LX sedan...
1996 Honda Civic LX sedan automatic

The transmission slips slightly between 2 and 3 gears at normal speed. At high speed its fine. Could there be something that could fix this other than complete transmission replacement.
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Honda
5/25/2012
Mechanic for Honda: HondaPlatinum, A Technician replied 5 years ago
HondaPlatinum
HondaPlatinum, A Technician
When was the last transmission service done?
It has super low mileage so I doubt it was ever done.
Ok that would be the next step.Drain the fluid then remove the transmission cooler lines from the transmission .Then take one of the cooler lines and insert it in a gallon jug and blow compressed air through the other end.This will remove any debris or clots from the cooler.Then reinstall all.Fill with 2.8 quarts of Honda fluid only .Road test the car.If there is still an issue then you need to remove the shift solenoids and clean the screens and reinstall.If there is then still an issue its internal and the transmission will need to be replaced or rebuilt to fix this issue.These are the next steps.Hoped this helped.Positive feedback and bonuses greatly appreciated.
Should I replace the solenoids?
Should I consider replacing the solenoids? Is there a filter that goes along with this transmission. The fluid looks very clean and is full.
No filter its all internal.You can try to replace the solenoids if there is still an issue.Hoped this helped.Positive feedback and bonuses greatly appreciated.
One last thing, I'm going to be tackling all this tomorrow, any step by step instructions or right ups? Would a failing solenoid cause the transmission to slip?
No the clogged transmission cooler could.Here is a DIY for you .
ClickHere
Hoped this helped.Positive feedback and bonuses greatly appreciated.
HondaPlatinum
HondaPlatinum, A Technician
HondaPlatinum
HondaPlatinum
HondaPlatinum, A Technician