Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Honda Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Honda Diagnostics
18617752

2003 Honda Civic: has 2 codes..Leak..Canister..Pressure Sensor

Customer Question

2003 Honda Civic has 2 codes:
P1457 EVAP Emission Control System Leak Detected (Control Canister System)
P0453 Evap Emission System Pressure Sensor/Switch High Input
Category: Honda
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 5 years ago.

Welcome! I'm Ron Z! I will do my best to answer all of your questions. For easy access to this thread, bookmark it now! Please read everything!

These codes are directly related. The P1457 sees a "leak" in the EVAP system, while P0453 is pointing to the Fuel Tank Pressure Sensor. So, more than likely, the FTP Sensor IS the source of said "leak". Carefully inspect the vacuum lines to the FTP sensor for any cracks, holes or loose/missing connections. If the visual inspection checks ok, replace the FTP, making sure it seats correctly and tightly. Best access to the FTP is from under the vehicle, driver's side, towards the rear:

graphic

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
didn't see any leaks or bad hoses. pulled solenoid valve. is it the 1" cube above the solenoid? the arrow seems to point past that - can't tell from picture. how does "cube " come off? had pressure, but is there any way to test the FTP?
also, dealer item? approx cost? alternate source than dealer?
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 5 years ago.

Yes, the cube just above the solenoid. Should just "pull" off. Unfortunately, no Honda testing procedure provided. That I know of, yes, Dealer item, however, NAPA has been getting in more EVAP related parts lately, can't hurt to call and ask.

graphic

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ron,
Here's one for your "story" list. I have horses, and I put feed in the trunk to haul home. I noticed a while back that a little wiring harness that runs through the front left corner of the trunk had been chewed in two by a rat. I wondered what they went to, but the car was running with no apparent problems, so I didn't do anything about it.
As it turns out, those wires go to the two parts we're discussing. I had already called a dealer (price was $208!) but couldn't get the FTP sensor off the bracket. That's when I noticed the wiring harness was chewed in two beneath the car as well. There's probably a foot missing, with 7 small wires in it. I'm betting that when I get that repaired, I'll be OK.
Thanx anyway, and I'll ACCEPT even though that wasn't the problem.
Have a good one.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
story about rat chewing wires
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 5 years ago.

Yep! Sounds like that is going to be the problem! I bet that harness is what controls the FTP sensor. I bet when the harness is repaired, so will the 2 codes!