Honda

Have Honda Questions? Ask a Honda Repair Expert.

Honda

2001 Honda Accord LX: intermittent electrical problem..light comes

Customer Question
I have a 2001 Honda...
I have a 2001 Honda Accord LX (4 cylinder) with an intermittent electrical problem in the immobilizer circuit. If I turn the ignition key two clicks and the green immobilizer light comes on the car will start. Sometimes I turn the key two clicks and the immobilizer light doesn't come on and the car will not start. I have tried different keys and that does not help. It seems to be temperature dependent. The hotter the car interior the more likely that the car will not start. I have one DTC P1457 an evaporative emissions leak that I think is unrelated. What is the fix?
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Honda
5/5/2012
Mechanic for Honda: Kyle N., Honda Master Tech replied 5 years ago
Kyle N.
Kyle N., Honda Master Tech
Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a Honda expert here at JustAnswer.com. I'd be glad to help you with your question.

It sounds like the next step is to have the immobilizer reciever replaced. It's the part that's around the ignition assembly under the column covers. The reciever doesn't need to be programmed or anything so you can save some money having it replaced at a non dealer shop with a cheaper labor rate.

The P1457 is unrelated. I would start with maybe a gas cap on that one. If that doesn't fix the code you'll have to have it diagnosed further.

Hope that helps.
If the immobilizer doesn't see the key in the ignition, is that why the green light does not illuminate?
It sounds like it. I never go off the light. I use the factory scan tool for this type of diagnosis. Typically it's key loses it's programming or the reciever. Only thing left after that is the ECU and Honda ECU's rarely fail.

You eliminated the key as the problem by using the second one you have so I'm thinking you have a reciever that's intermittent. I see this sometimes and it's not hard to replace or expensive in fact it's probably cheaper than a new key or reprogram.

Hope that helps.
Kyle N.
Kyle N., Honda Master Tech
Kyle N.
Kyle N.
Kyle N., Honda Master Tech