Honda man
Honda man, Honda Service Technician
Experience:  Gold level Honda training
11197966

Honda Civic: i have a 2001 honda civic lx 4 door with a p1457

Customer Question

i have a 2001 honda civic lx 4 door with a p1457 code. i know about the tsb and replaced the part that the tsb told me to, has anyone come across this problem before? can anyone pin point me to the problem? i dont see a leak with the smoke machine hooked upto it.
Category: Honda
Expert:  Honda man replied 5 years ago.

Honda man :

Hello, I would love to help you with any Honda or automotive questions.

Honda man :

Im guessing the TSB you are talking about points you to replace the two way valve and Bypass solenoid ass. That TSB did not fix many of the P1457 problems. The first thing I go for at the dealership is checking the vent shut solenoid valve on the charcoal canister. They fail often and it is very easy to test them, just simply apply power to the solenoid and listen for the valve to opperate. It is a defined pop on and then again another pop when power is taken away from the valve.

Honda man :

the link is the part that needs to be tested. Just a side note if the screws are rusted and cannot be removes the screws are also required for the job

Honda man :

Is there anything else I can help you with today?

Honda man :

If the vent shut valve does not gove a pop on or off and it is stuck and is the cause of the p1457

Customer :

the vent shut valve pops on and off and makes the clicking noise, what step is next? could the valve be bad even if it clicks? i use the smoke machine and i dont see any leaks anywhere either

Honda man :

when you used the smoke machine how did you block off the system?

Customer :

i send the smnoke through the gas filler neck with a gas cap rubber fitting

Honda man :

that is only checking tank,filler neck and the 2way valve

Honda man :

the valve is closed on the 2 way unless you electronicly open the rest of the system

Honda man :

is it possable to review data on a scanner?

Honda man :

What im getting at is the P1457 is a problem between the 2 way valve and the engine.........a gas tank or filler neck leak would be a p1456

Honda man :

Have you taken off the purge valve on the engine side and checked that to see if it will hold vacuum

Customer :

where is the purge valve located?

Customer :

i found the location

Customer :

there is smoke coming from the hose before the solinoid before going into the intake manifold but there is no smoke coming after the solinoid going into the intake manifold

Honda man :

OK that would lead me to think the purge valve might not be drawing enough volume when asked to purge...they are a duty cycle solenoid and if they are requested to pull a 20% duty cycle from the ECU and the purge valve is not is only able to purge at 12-15% this would not give enough volume to draw the canister pressure down enough to satisfy the evap system. Is there any way you can look at the Fuel tank pressure on a scanner?

Customer :

i dont think it has that option

Honda man :

With no leak with the smoke machine the problem is with the vent shut valve or purge valve, you need to look at the fuel tank pressure sensor to varfy which one

Honda man :

If the fuel tank pressure sensor does not move from between 1.45V-1.55V the vent shut is the problem. (watching the FTP for 10 mins) If the FTP drops below 1.45 volts I would look at the purge valve