Honda

Have Honda Questions? Ask a Honda Repair Expert.

Honda

Honda Civic: 01 honda civic wont rev past 3500 rpm and cuts

Customer Question
01 honda civic wont rev...
01 honda civic wont rev past 3500 rpm and cuts out
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Honda
3/3/2012
Mechanic for Honda: Dan, Technician replied 5 years ago
Dan, Technician
Welcome to JustAnswer, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm here to help get your problem resolved. Ask follow up questions, thanks. This usually means you have a clogged catalytic converter..Remove front oxygen sensor to see if it helps if so replace converter. You can also install a pressure guage to verify pressure does not go over a few psi while reving engine if so replace converter...If good verify air filter is not clogged, good fuel pressure, if all is good replace crank sensor..But converter is problem 90% of time. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.
Dan, Technician
Hey Dan i failed to mention that it is speratic,and only acts up once in a while.the check engine light comes on and shows a code for map sensor high.the engine then doesnt idle well.if it still sounds like a cat wouldnt i get an 02 sensor code also?
So check engine light comes on with map sensor code every time this problems? What is the code number? Thanks.
Hey Dan i failed to mention that it is speratic,and only acts up once in a while.the check engine light comes on and shows a code for map sensor high.the engine then doesnt idle well.if it still sounds like a cat wouldnt i get an 02 sensor code also? The code is p 1129

If it was cat you wouldnt be getting o2 code but also problem woouldnt be intermittent..It wouldnt ever rev above 3500...So sometimes it does rev fine? And code sets when problem happens?

yes code sets when problem happens, runs great untill it acts up.
How often does this happen and how often does it run good for how long? Thanks.
Somtimes 50 miles or so,somtimes shorter distances
Moniter voltages going to sensor during problem....Also wiggle wiring, it sounds like a intermittent wiring problem..you can also moniter vacuum going to sensor during problem to make sure it doesnt drop..
Dan, Technician