Honda

Have Honda questions? Ask a Honda repair expert.

Honda accord keyless entry not working

Already tried: 
Panic button works Interior Lock/unlock
...
honda accord keyless entry not working

Already tried: 

Panic button works
Interior Lock/unlock button works
red indicator light on remote works for all buttons
followed instructions for resetting remote, but it did not work. 
Open and fully shut each door and trunk
Problem began after I replaced a broken door jamb switch, but even if I disconnect the switch - the lock/unlock doesn't work.
3/1/2012
HondaPlatinum
HondaPlatinum, A Technician
Was the drivers door lock actuator replaced .Also is the interior light on when closing all the doors?
Thanks for the replay HP! the actuator was not replaced, just the door jamb switch. The actuator does work when I use the interior lock/unlock button.
The dome light does cut off after all the doors are closed.
I should also mention (if it matters) that when I replaced the door jamb switch, i forgot to disconnect the battery. its possible i shorted something. dunno.
Relist: Other.
no answer
johnny civic
johnny civic, Honda Technician
what exactly is not working
The remote unlock/lock is not working.
Relist: Other.
no answer
Andrew
Andrew, Honda Technician
Hello let me help you with any of your Honda problems. When you say you attempted to reset the remote does that mean you tried to re-program?
I tried the turn-on, push lock button, turn-off, repeat.
the keyless worked just fine before you replaced the door switch? Do you have another remote at all or just this one?
That's correct. I do not have another remote. The darn thing still goes off when i hit the panic button - but the lock/unlock buttons don't do a thing.
That is a new one to me. Let me do some research real quick and I will get back to you. It is possible the actual remote has failed but let me look before I condemn it.
Thanks for looking into it. Once the issue began, I dissembled the remote, but it was surprisingly clean (some forums suggested it might be muck in the remote). The remote battery was replaced in December. Its frustrating because the remote indicator light does lights up nicely.

Here is a little info that I found that may help.

NOTE: This article applies to '94-03 Accords,

'96-03 Civics, '97-01 Preludes, '95-03 Odysseys,

and '97-03 CR-Vs.

If your customer complains that his or her keyless

remote transmitter doesn't work, check the ceiling

light switch or the ignition key beeper before you

go off troubleshooting the keyless entry system.

Here's why:

Ceiling light switch. If a door isn't adjusted right

or if a door switch is shorted, the ceiling light stays

on all the time. (On Accords and Odysseys, the

affected door light in the door and brake lamp

monitor also comes on and stays on.) The keyless

entry doesn't lock any of the doors because,

electrically, it thinks a door is still open. Your

customer turns off the ceiling light switch to get

rid of the annoyance, and brings in the vehicle for

repair thinking the keyless entry is on the fritz.

If it's a problem in the ceiling light switch circuit,

you'll notice that the hatch or trunk release and

the Panic feature on the remote transmitter both

work.

Ignition key reminder beeper switch. If the

ignition key reminder beeper switch is stuck or

faulty, and the key reminder beeper sounds off

any time there's a door open, even without a key

in the ignition switch, the keyless entry doesn't

lock or unlock any of the doors. This is because,

electrically, it thinks there's still a key in the

ignition switch.

If it's a problem in the beeper switch circuit, you'll

notice that the hatch or trunk release on the

remote transmitter doesn't work but the Panic

feature still does.

The next step will be to see if your remote will pop the trunk. Also do you hear the actuators trying to work at all when you press the remote button?

Hmmm... my remote doesn't have a trunk pop button. In its place is an on/off button that toggles the car to signal when a button is pressed.
The actuators make no noise from the remote trigger. The actuators do make noise when I use the interior lock/unlock button.
My local advanced autoparts has a bulldog remote entry system for sale for $50. Is it naive to consider replacing the whole system?
Ok. It sounds as if the beeper circuit may have a problem but if the beeper does not sound with the key out of the ignition I would rule that out. You could very well just have a bad remote......installing the other system may not be a bad alternative as long as you trust that company. Honestly a keyless system would be the cheaper alternative since Honda remotes are a little expensive. Hope this helped you a little bit and if you are satisfied please hit accept and leave positive feedback. If you need anymore help on this please feel free to ask.
Andrew
Andrew, Honda Technician