Honda

Have Honda Questions? Ask a Honda Repair Expert.

Honda

I have no spark at the sparkplugs on my 1999 Honda Civic EX

model. It does not have...
I have no spark at the sparkplugs on my 1999 Honda Civic EX model. It does not have OHC. This car was involved in a front end collision and the car was driven home aftr the accident, but sat for approx 9 months. I have new injectors and have drained the old tank of bad fuel and have replaced the fuel filter. the fuel pump is working fine.
2/4/2012
Tim's Auto Repair

tims auto repair :

hi

tims auto repair :

if you remove the distributer cap,,then turn the engine,,,does the rotor in the cap turn?

Customer:

I did not check that. I did notice some buildup on the contacts inside the cap and at the rotor. so i cleaned those up with some sand paper. that was the extent

tims auto repair :

ok

Customer:

the timing belt is in place and turning as well

tims auto repair :

ok

tims auto repair :

that is what i was wanting to know

tims auto repair :

the first thing to do here

tims auto repair :

is to replace the distributer cap and the rotor

tims auto repair :

these can burn up on the inside

Customer:

how do i remove the rotor. it was on pretty tight

Customer:

ok

tims auto repair :

and,there is no good way to test them,,sense you cant dublicate the high voltage

tims auto repair :

but

Customer:

ok

tims auto repair :

the problem,may be the igniter/ignition module

tims auto repair :

some auto parts stores can test these if you take it to them

tims auto repair :

it is in the distributer

tims auto repair :

i will get you a pictur

tims auto repair :

e

Customer:

is this inside the shield of the distributor?

tims auto repair :

just a second

Customer:

ok

tims auto repair :

Honda Civic/Del Sol 1996-2000

Ignition Module

Print

LOCATION

The Ignition Control Module (ICM) on the Civic and Civic del Sol is located in the distributor housing near the ignition coil. To access the module, remove the distributor cap, rotor, and if equipped, the dust cover.

tims auto repair :

Full Size Image

: Typical ignition control module wire colors

CLOSE X

tims auto repair :

having a little troble

tims auto repair :

this is the picture

tims auto repair :

REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

Fig. Detach the wiring from the ignition control module

Fig. Location of the mounting screws

Fig. Remove the mounting screws

Fig. Pull the module from the distributor base

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.

2. Remove the distributor cap, ignition rotor, and protective leak cover.

3. Detach the wires from the Integrated Control Module (ICM).

4. Remove the ICM.

5. Installation is the reverse of the removal procedure.

The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) idle memory must be reset after reconnecting the battery. Start the engine and hold it at 3000 rpm until the cooling fan comes on. Then allow the engine to idle for about five minutes with all accessories OFF and with the transmission in Park or Neutral.

tims auto repair :

Please ACCEPT my answer by clicking the accept button, so I can get credit for my work.i don't receive commission unless you do ..I'm not always going to be giving you good news,so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer.it does not cost you more money.we will still be able to communicate.please understand,i can not see,hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated!if you are not satisfied with my answer,please do not leave bad feed back,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question.if i have sent any diagrams,please print them.they will only stay on here for an hour or so...sometimes you may need to right click the image,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...PLEASE ASK IF YOU NEED MORE HELP

Customer:

How do i get the rotor off? is there a trick? i did try to pry off using screwdrivers but did not want to break the protectice case

tims auto repair :

just a second please

tims auto repair :

i am having a little troble with pictures

tims auto repair :

the rotor has a screw in it

tims auto repair :

you need to remove it first

tims auto repair :

tims auto repair :

FIG : Exploded view of a Hitachi style distributor

image
Full Size Image

tims auto repair :

there we go

tims auto repair :

Customer:

is it located on the side or in the middle, I am sorry i did not see a screw?

tims auto repair :

it is in the side of the rotor...look at the last picture i sent

tims auto repair :

do you see the rotor?

tims auto repair :

it gos though one side of the rotor into the distributer shaft

tims auto repair :

Customer:

Thank you so much. I will get to this in the morning. You are the man.

Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic