Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Honda Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Honda Diagnostics
18617752

2005 Honda Accord: inspection..OBD..I was failed for emissions

Customer Question

After an inspection sticker check for my 2005 Honda Accord I have 4 OBD system Diag Trouble Codes, P2185, P2183, P0111, P0128. I was failed for emissions. What do the codes mean
Category: Honda
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 5 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer.com! My name is DriveFast71(Ron) and I will do my best to answer all of your questions completely and accurately.

Is this the 4-cylinder or the 6-cylinder?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

4, it's the cheapest version (not even power locks).

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 5 years ago.
ok. All of these codes are related.

DTC P2183: ECT Sensor 2 Circuit Range/Performance Problem
DTC P2185: ECT Sensor 2 Circuit High Voltage
DTC P0128: Cooling System Malfunction
DTC P0111: IAT Sensor Circuit Range/Performance Problem - Although this code is pointing to a fault with the IAT sensor, on this vehicle, a loose connection or faulty ECT can also set this code.

So, basically, there is a fault with ECT (Engine Coolant Temp Sensor) #2. It's located on the driver's side the engine, under the Throttle Body. Inspect the wire harness and electrical connector for any loose or borken wires. If the visual inspection checks ok, replacing the ECT should solve all 4 codes.
graphic
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 5 years ago.
Wait! Hang on! I clicked the 6-cylinder by mistake!! The ECT #2 on the 4-cylinder is at the bottom of the radiator. Best access is from under the vehicle! My apologies!

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks,I'm in Boston, about how much would it cost to replace the ECT#2?
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 5 years ago.
Very sorry about that. I'm looking at the image, and I said to myself "why are there 6 injectors on that 4-cylinder image I just sent?!" - DOH! Had my resource guide set to 6-cylinder. Been a long day. Sorry.

The ECT sells for around $38 and the labor time guide calls for .5 hour to complete the job. Labor rates vary from shop to shop, so what you pay for labor will effect the bottom line.

(I'm down here in RI - Go PATS!!)

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks!! That's great news. GOOOO Pats!!!
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 5 years ago.
HAHAHA! Glad I could help! Have a great day!