snapontech
snapontech, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  2 Year Automotive Degree 2 years hands on technical training and 7 Years hands on learned from the best.
49697172

Honda Civic Ignition key will not turn, nor will the steering

Ignition key will not turn, nor will the steering wheel. I am stranded.
Category: Honda
Expert:  snapontech replied 5 years ago.

snapontech :

Welcome to Justanswer, My name isXXXXX am here to help.

snapontech :

This should be possible to get it started. Lets try a few things here first push up against the car and rock it just a bit forward and back as sometimes the linkage will be stuck also ensure its in park all the way by pushing the shifter into park. Now sometimes the spots the wheel gets locked on the column will make it next to impossible to turn but if you use 2 hands and alot of power it should move a small amount one way or the other when its moved this small amount you will have to attempt to turn the key without allowing it to turn back into the spot where you cannot turn the key

snapontech :

This should work

snapontech :

Let me know if you have any questions. If this was helpful please take a moment to press the green ACCEPT button in the lower right hand corner.Thanks in advance Danny

Customer:

These suggestions did not work.

snapontech :

Is there good power to the vehicle?

Customer:

Yes

snapontech :

You have to try everything you can to get the key to turn I have found gripping the key with pliers or vise grips can help in getting the key to turn when locked up

snapontech :

Do you have access to a set of pliers or anything?

Customer:

I ;have tried the vice grip solution, but without success.

snapontech :
Check to see if the Green key is illuminated or flashing in the dash. When the key is inserted in the cylinder the light should come on for two seconds and then go off. If the light comes on but then starts to blink or stays on, there is a problem in the engine immobilizer.
Customer:

The light does not come on at all.

snapontech :

Then there is a fault inside the ignition switch not detecting the key

Customer:

This sounds like something I can't fix on the road. Right?

snapontech :

Correct you have done all that can be done