Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
14541291

Honda Accord LX how do you change the power stearing belt

Customer Question

how do you change the power stearing belt on a 91 honda accord LZ?
Category: Honda
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 5 years ago.

hi

thanks

Please ACCEPT my answer so I can get credit for my work.i don't receive commission unless you do ..I'm not always going to be giving you good news,so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer.it does not cost you more money.we will still be able to communicate.. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated!if you are not satisfied with my answer,please do not leave bad feed back,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question.if i have sent any diagrams,please print them.they will only stay on here for an hour or so.PLEASE ASK IF YOU NEED MORE HELP

ADJUSTING TENSION

See Figure 4

Alternator
1984-85 ACCORD AND 1984-87 PRELUDE

1. Loosen the alternator adjusting bolt and mounting nut.
  2. Carefully pry on the alternator until the proper belt tension is reached, then tighten the bolt and nut. Recheck the tension and readjust as required.
  3. Tighten the adjusting bolt to 17 ft. lbs. (24 Nm) and the mounting nut to 33 ft. lbs. (45 Nm).
  4. Start the engine and allow it to run for several minutes. Recheck the belt tension and readjust as required.

1986-89 ACCORD

1. Loosen the alternator adjusting nut, mounting nut and bolt.
  2. Turn the adjusting nut until the proper belt tension is reached. Recheck the tension and readjust as required.
  3. Tighten the mounting bolt to 18 ft. lbs. (26 Nm) and the mounting nut to 33 ft. lbs. (45 Nm).

1990-93 ACCORD AND 1988-91 PRELUDE

1. Loosen the alternator mounting nut/bolt and through-bolts.
  3. Tighten the mounting nut/bolt to 18 ft. lbs. (26 Nm) and the through-bolts to 33 ft. lbs. (45 Nm).

1994-95 ACCORD AND 1992-95 PRELUDE

1. Loosen the adjustment bolt locknut and the through-bolt(s). On the Accord, also loosen the mounting nut.
  2. Turn the adjusting bolt until the proper belt tension is reached. Recheck the tension and readjust as required.
  3. Tighten the adjustment bolt locknut to 16 ft. lbs. (22 Nm) and the through-bolt(s) to 33 ft. lbs. (45 Nm). On the Accord, tighten the mounting nut to 18 ft. lbs. (26 Nm).

FIG : Fig. 4: Examples of adjusting nuts and bolts. A 1989 Prelude is shown, others are similar although location may vary

image

Power Steering
1984-89 ACCORD AND 1984-87 PRELUDE

1. Loosen the pump pivot bolt and adjusting nut.
  2. Carefully pry on the power steering pump until the proper belt tension is reached, then tighten the adjusting nut. Recheck the tension and readjust as required.
  3. On 1984-85 Accord and Prelude, tighten the pivot bolt to 32 ft. lbs. (45 Nm) and the adjusting nut to 20 ft. lbs. (27 Nm). On 1986-89 Accord, tighten the pivot bolt to 28 ft. lbs. (39 Nm) and the adjusting nut to 16 ft. lbs. (22 Nm). On 1986-87 Prelude, tighten both the pivot bolt and the adjusting nut to 28 ft. lbs. (39 Nm).
  4. Start the engine and turn the wheel lock-to-lock several times. Recheck the belt tension and readjust as required.

1990-93 ACCORD

1. Loosen the pump through-bolt and nut.
  2. Turn the adjusting bolt until the desired tension is reached.
  3. Tighten the through-bolt to 33 ft. lbs. (45 Nm) and the nut to 16 ft. lbs. (22 Nm).

1988-91 PRELUDE

1. Loosen the pump idler pulley bolt.
  3. Tighten the pulley bolt to 35 ft. lbs. (49 Nm).

1994-95 ACCORD

1. Loosen the pump mounting nuts.
  3. Tighten the mounting nuts to 17 ft. lbs. (24 Nm).

1992-95 PRELUDE

1. Loosen the pump mounting nuts, bolt and adjusting bolt locknut.
  2. Turn the adjusting bolt until the desired tension is reached. Tighten the locknut to 11 ft. lbs. (15 Nm).
  3. Tighten the mounting nuts and bolt to 16 ft. lbs. (22 Nm).

Air Conditioning
1984-85 ACCORD AND 1984-87 PRELUDE

1. On Honda/Keihin type compressors, adjust as follows:
    1. Loosen the pump pivot bolt and adjusting bolt.
    2. Carefully pry on the A/C compressor until the proper belt tension is reached, then tighten the adjusting bolt. Recheck the tension and readjust as required.
    3. Tighten the pivot bolts to 34 ft. lbs. (47 Nm) and the adjusting bolt to 31 ft. lbs. (43 Nm).
  2. On Nippodenso type compressors:
    1. Loosen the pivot bolts and the adjustment lockbolt.
    2. Turn the adjusting bolt until the desired tension is reached. Tighten the lockbolt and pivot bolts to 34 ft. lbs. (47 Nm).
  3. Start the engine and allow it to run for several minutes. Recheck the belt tension and readjust as required.

1986-89 ACCORD

1. On some models, loosen the adjustment nut locknut.
  2. Turn the adjusting nut until the desired tension is reached. Tighten the locknut until snug.

1990-95 ACCORD AND 1988-95 PRELUDE

On these models, the air conditioning compressor is driven by the same belt as the alternator. Refer the alternator belt tensioning procedures.

REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

When buying replacement belts, remember that the fit is critical according to the length of the belt (diameter), the width of the belt, the depth of the belt and the angle or profile of the V-shape. The belt shape should exactly match the shape of the pulley; belts that are not an exact match can cause noise, slippage and premature failure.

If a belt must be replaced, first loosen the adjuster if one is present. The driven unit may also need to be loosened or moved towards the engine to allow removal of the belt. After removing the old belt, check the pulleys for dirt or built-up material which could affect belt contact. Carefully install the new belt, remembering that it is new and unused-it may appear to be just a little too small to fit over the pulley flanges.

Fit the belt over the largest pulley (usually the crankshaft pulley at the bottom center of the engine) first, then work on the smaller one(s). Gentle pressure in the direction of rotation is helpful. some belts run around a third or idler pulley, which acts as an additional pivot. Depending on which belt(s) you are replacing, it may be necessary to loosen or remove other interfering belts to get at the one you want.

After the new belt is installed, be sure the belt is at the correct tension. A new belt can be expected to stretch a bit after installation. Be prepared to check, and if necessary, readjust the belt(s) within the first 5 minutes of use.