Honda

Have Honda questions? Ask a Honda repair expert.

Honda Civic How much should a timing belt replacement and…

Customer Question
How much should a timing...
How much should a timing belt replacement and 90K service cost for a 1998 Honda Civic L with 89,700 miles on it. I've done all the regular maintenance and it's in great condition. I've been quoted from $500 to $1600 for the work listed below.  Each shop uses OEM parts.

Things I think need to be done:
-replace timing belt

90k service
-check water pump and replace if necessary
-change air filter
-change fuel filter
-check transmission fluid and change if needed
-change brake fluid
-drain and change cooling system
-change spark plugs
-rotate and inspect tires
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Honda
8/2/2011
Mechanic for Honda: George H., ASE Certified Technician replied 6 years ago
George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician

Hello I will help you with your question,

The "book time to replace the belt is only 2.7 hours but there are other things that should be done when you replace the belt. The idea is that all these components have lasted the length of time this belt was installed so you don't want anything to break while the new belt is in that requires removal of the belt or you would be paying double the labor. The cost is in the labor not the belt which is less than $50.

The water pump is driven by the belt and the seal on the cam and crank shaft could leak in the next 100,000 miles so they should be replaced. This is a good time to adjust the valve clearance so all this adds up to another 2.0 hours and an additional $175 in parts.

Some shops will want to replace the idler pulley to prevent its bearing from seizing during the next belt life and that is another $50 so you can see how it adds up but a complete job done in an independent, certified shop should be about $800 - $1000.

Make sure you are comparing the same job, ask what is being changed, adjusted and ask the next shop if all the first shops parts are going to be included.

I see the additions to your original question but be sure all your estimates are for the same work and for the fluid exchanges add $500 to my figures above so the high end is more realistic for the complete work.

Let me know how I can help you with this

Thank you

Thanks, George! I did request quotes from all three shops for the same work. One shop said he'd replace the transmission fluid if it needed to be replaced. From what you're saying, it seems best to pay for the labor once and do the work on other parts that may require replacement during the next several years vs doing some now and some later which would result in similar labor costs. Is that what you mean?

The more expensive, certified family-owned shop charges
-$900 for the timing belt, water pump, tensioner, 2 front engine sealss, 2 drive belts, maybe an AC belt and a valve cover gasket

-$795 for the 90K service: replace oil and oil filter, change air filter, change transmission fluid, changel brake luid, flush cooling system, change spark plugs, rotate tires and balance tires ($14.99 for each tire on top of the $795). Do I need this? My current ride is very smooth.)

Can I validly ask for some type of discount? And if so, what should I ask for? They offer a $25 new customer discount.

This shop uses Honda parts while the other two shops use OEM parts. What is the difference? I have had Honda parts used for all past service jobs.

I do appreciate your help!
Thanks!
Vandana

The Honda and the OEM parts will be the same quality, either will be fine and the cost is about the same.

I would ask them to provide at least a 10% discount, all they can say is no but this is considered a "gravy" job so they will come off the price a bit.

I don't know your service history but if the cooling system has not been done in the last 2 -3 years have it flushed, the transmission should be changed if it has not been done in the last 30,000 miles, same for the brake fluid. Do the spark plugs and the filters/oil change.

You are understanding what I am saying about doing a complete timing belt job by replacing all the parts that could break in the next 100,000 miles when this belt is replaced so you don't have to go back in and do the belt twice because something leaked on it or froze up and damaged it.

The valve cover will be off so see if they can adjust the valves before they change the belt (engine needs to be warm) then they can pull the valve cover, adjust the valves and continue removing the timing cover and then the belt, water pump and replace the seals so there is a combination of work and they will save on labor. This is where you ask for the discount as the jobs are a combination and they overlap.

Sounds like you are on a firm footing and the balance/rotate is up to you. My feeling is that tires should be rotated every other oil change and balanced once a year or if there is vibration but I don't know how many miles are on these. The more worn the tire is the more important it is to keep them rotated and balanced.

Thank you

George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician