Honda

Have Honda Questions? Ask a Honda Repair Expert.

Honda

2007Honda: The air conditioning..hot air..blow hot..blow cold

I have a 2007 Honda...

I have a 2007 Honda Odyssey with 39,750 miles. The air conditioning stopped blowing cool air & now blows just hot air. At first, it would blow hot for a while, then blow cold. Now just blows hot. What is the problem likely to be? JHB

PS: approx cost?

7/18/2011
thebesthonda
thebesthonda, ASE MasterTechnician

thebesthonda :

If you have any more questions or need anything please don't hesitate to ask. If the answer I send helps you, please click ACCEPT.

thebesthonda :

Turn the a/c on high, start the engine and raise the hood. Are both radiator fans running? Is the compressor clutch engaged?

Customer:

Both radiator fans are running. Don't know how to tell if the compressor clutch engaged.

thebesthonda :

Can you hear a click coming from under the hood when the engine is running and you turn the a/c off and on?

Customer:

I will check right away -- be back in 10 mins.

thebesthonda :

K

Customer:

There is no audible click when turning AC off & on. There is a slight increase in engine revs when I turn AC on, and smaller decrease in revs when I turn it off.

thebesthonda :

Ok, that sounds like the compressor is not engaging. You would need to have the car lifted on a rack and use a test light to confirm voltage at the compressor to confirm, but this is sounding like a bad compressor coil to me. I have seen a few of these fail

Customer:

Thanks very much. I pursued this with you to see how the process works & I like it.

thebesthonda :

My pleasure. Yes, this is a great site. I have even used it myself to get help on household items, computers, etc.

Customer:

When I wrote to you I also scheduled an appointment with my Honda dealer & and just got back from there at 11:30. That was their diagnosis also. Cost $970. The part has been ordered & when it comes in, I'll take it in for the repair. I also requested some financial help from Honda, and they have agreed to pay 60% of the cost -- presumably since the vehicle has only 39,800 miles, & I've had all servicing done at my dealer -- Honda East Cincy. Thanks so much. I'll accept your assistance.

thebesthonda :

My pleasure!

thebesthonda
thebesthonda, ASE MasterTechnician
thebesthonda
thebesthonda
thebesthonda, ASE MasterTechnician