Honda

Have Honda Questions? Ask a Honda Repair Expert.

Honda

2000 honda: jump start..Parked..the crv wont start..clicking sound

Customer Question
used my 2000 honda crv...
used my 2000 honda crv to jump start my truck this morning. Parked and turned off the crv, now the crv won't start. Just a clicking sound when turning the key. What have I likely burned out?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Honda
6/18/2011
Mechanic for Honda: MASTER TECH, Honda Technician replied 6 years ago
MASTER TECH
MASTER TECH, Honda Technician

master tech :

Hello welcome to just answer I am master tech and will be able to assist you today.

master tech :

this sounds like the starter or the battery cables are loose and not making a good connection.

master tech :

I would remove the cables and clean the post and cables and reinstall

Customer:

Thanks for answering! Additional info. After disconnecting the jumper cables and moving the Honda, noticed some smoke and burning odor. Up until turning it off, nothing else seemed amiss. Now when I put the key in the ignition, all the expected lights come on, but just a click when turning the key. Is this helpful?

Customer:

If I wasn't clear before, I used the Honda to jump start my truck.

Customer:

Is there a fusible link or similar device on the Honda that you are aware of?

master tech :

hmm

master tech :

their is no fusible link on these

master tech :

we use direct wiring and fuse protection.

master tech :

we also have issues with the ignition switch harness'

master tech :

but since this happened after the jump start this is why i went with the cables and connections and maybe a starter issue

Customer:

I've cleaned/checked the battery connections, but I followed the cable from the positive terminal to the starter. There appears to be a wire running from the solenoid to the starter body which is burned through.

Customer:

Is there anything special I should be aware of when replacing the starter?

master tech : No these are very straight forward
master tech : I would have it tested before replacing it
Customer:

Thanks for your assistance!

MASTER TECH
MASTER TECH, Honda Technician
MASTER TECH
MASTER TECH
MASTER TECH, Honda Technician