Honda

Have Honda Questions? Ask a Honda Repair Expert.

Honda

1997 ACCORD LX: A/C COMPRESSOR CLUTCH NOT ENGAGING..COOLING

Customer Question
MY 1997 ACCORD LX 4CYL...
MY 1997 ACCORD LX 4CYL. A/C COMPRESSOR CLUTCH NOT ENGAGING, WHEN THE A/C BUTTON IS PRESSED THE ENGINE REVS LIKE THE COMPRESSOR HAS ENGAGED BUT IT DOESN'T, SOMETIMES THE ENGINE JUST SURGES UP AND DOWN WHEN THE A/C BUTTON IS DEPRESSED TO CALL FOR COOLING, WHAT IS THE CAUSE FOR THIS PROBLEM?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Honda
6/5/2011
Mechanic for Honda: Mastertech1, ASE Master Technician replied 6 years ago
Mastertech1
Mastertech1, ASE Master Technician
I WOULD LIKE TO THANK YOU FOR CHOOSING JUST ANSWER, AND FOR ALLOWING ME THE OPPORTUNITY TO ASSIST YOU WITH YOUR AUTOMOTIVE CONCERNS.When was the last time the freon was checked in the a/c system?
THE FREON WAS EVACUATED AND RECHARGED TO PROPER FILL
Ok, Then the freon levels are good, we can out rule this factor. There is a transducer (it is a pressure switch on the high side line,that controls signal to the compressor,via the compressor relay,in the fuse/relay box) Also in the fuse box under the hood is a fuse for the condenser fan, if it is blown, then compressor wont turn-on! Check this fuse first,and if it is burned,then you need to take a good look at the condenser fan motor (if motor is bad it will burn fuse) Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX know!
Mastertech1
Mastertech1, ASE Master Technician
WHEN YOU SAY FUSE RELAY BOX DO YOU MEAN UNDER THE DASH IN THE LEFT KICK PANEL OR DO YOU MEAN UNDER THE HOOD
Sorry! I was refering to the underhood fuse/relay box! Thanks!
CONDENSER FAN RUNS WHEN CALL FOR COOLING A/C BUTTON IS PRESSED, BUT COMPRESSOR DOES NOT ENGAGE
Then at this point you need to test for b+ at the compressor clutch wire,Do you have a test light and a knowledge of how to use it? Thanks,Let me know
NO POWER AT COMPRESSOR CLUTCH WIRE, IT HAS GROUND
IT WAS THE THE CONDENSER FAN FUSE, THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP, YOU ROCK, LOOK FORWARD TO GETTING HELP FROM YOU IN THE FUTURE
Thank-you, Good to hear it was just fuse!
Mastertech1
Mastertech1
Mastertech1, ASE Master Technician