Steve
Steve, Honda Mechanic
Experience:  13+ years with Honda,ase certified over 25 years
13523613

oddysey minivan 2005 makes a whining sound while accelerating..revving

Oddysey minivan 2005 makes a whining sound while accelerating like an aircraft taking off. Does not occur when revving the engine

Steve :

While driving does the noise change as you move the steering wheel back and forth like doing a lane change?

Customer:

No it does not-I thought it was a bearing as first but it seems to be directly coo related with acceleration

Steve :

Sounds like you knew I was thinking of a bad wheel bearing which would have the noise change when the van's weight shifts. Does it make the noise while driving at a steady speed?

Customer:

the whine reduces and virtually disappears once the car is at a a steady speed. Acceleration causes the whine to come back but at a lower pitch. The highest pitch is from 0 to 40, at higher speeds the whine disappears

Steve :

I see the dealer you took it to couldn't diagnose it but did they hear it? It could be a differential noise.

Customer:

sorry for the delay just got back from work ...the dealer claims they could not reproduce the sound. if it is a differential noise, what would cause the sound? does this need to get fixed-if so what is the fix and what would it cost? does leaving it alone pose a risk of any kind?

Steve :

If it is the differential making noise a transmission replacement would fix it. Not fixing it does not pose a problem. If the dealer can not duplicate the noise i would suggest you demand taking a technician or service adviser for a ride so you can point out the noise to them. They can not replace or repair anything unless they can duplicate the concern.

Customer:

ok thanks

Customer:

i am sorry I planned to accept. if you just respond to this I will accept

Steve :

I did not give you the option until now since I did not have a definite answer for you. I do appreciated the accept.