Honda

Have Honda questions? Ask a Honda repair expert.

The AC on my 2006 5 door 1.8 civic is not working properly…

Customer Question
Hi, the AC on my...
Hi, the AC on my 2006 5 door 1.8 civic is not working properly and I would like to know where I can get a diagram for the air conditioning system. It works then cuts out. This only seems to happen when the engine gets hot. The refrigerant charge is correct and I would like to check HP switch but don't know the wiring and what contacts are what. If I can get a diagram I can trace and test all the components to try locate the fault. Unfortunately there is no honda dealer where I am and I'm not comfortable handing to guys who are just gonna say the compressor is faulty and charge me four billion to repair it.
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Honda
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/20/2011
Mechanic for Honda: Rmldaytona, Certified Technician replied 7 years ago
Rmldaytona
Rmldaytona, Certified Technician

Hello. I changed this from a chat mode to an answer mode as it will be easier for me to give you the information needed.

First, check that the system is properly charged. This is a critical charge system meaning it must be fully evacuated, vacuumed, and recharged with the proper amount of refrigerant.

On this system the A/C compressor request circuit is somewhat complicated. The A/C request signal is sent to the PCM via CAN communication from the instrument cluster. The instrument cluster receives an A/C request signal from the under dash fuse relay box multiplex control unit. The under dash fuse relay panel multiplex control unit receives its request signal from the A/C control panel but that signal has to pass through the thermal protector on the compressor. Hint: the A/C control panel will not give a compressor request signal when the blower motor is inoperative.

Unplug the three pin connector on the A/C compressor and check continuity across the thermal protector wires. If the circuit shows to be open and there is no continuity, the thermal protector is bad. The wires for the thermal protector are Blue/White and Red. Jump those wires together to bypass the thermal protector and then verify the A/C compressor comes on. The thermal protector is available separately. If there is proper signals, powers, grounds to the compressor and the compressor still does not activate, the compressor clutch is faulty.

Test the voltage on the BLU/WHT wire at the thermal protector to determine if it has a 12 volt reference, if not, check for an open wire between the under dash fuse box and the A/C compressor. If there is a reference voltage, ground the wire with the engine running and the blower fan turned on and see if the compressor turns on. If the compressor turns on this would indicate that the A/C request circuit to the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) is good and the problem would be with the A/C request signal coming the from A/C control panel.

The A/C control panel should apply a ground to the Red/Black wire at the thermal protector, when the A/C switch is turned on. If the control panel is not grounding the wire at the thermal protector, check for an open wire between the thermal protector and the A/C control panel. there may be a bad input to the control panel if the Red/Black wire tests good.

There really are no specific reliable tests to test the switches without the use of a scan tool. But, here are the wiring diagrams for this system.

graphic

graphic

graphic

graphic

graphic

graphic

The most common reasons for your problem would be inaccurate refrigerant charge, faulty thermal switch, or a bad a/c compressor clutch.

Rmldaytona
Rmldaytona, Certified Technician
Rmldaytona
Rmldaytona
Rmldaytona, Certified Technician