Honda

Have Honda Questions? Ask a Honda Repair Expert.

Honda

How do you replace the alternator on honda civic 2001?

Customer Question
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Honda
3/18/2011
Mechanic for Honda: George H., ASE Certified Technician replied 6 years ago
George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician

Hello I will help you with your question,

You will have to remove the mounting for the power steering pump to get enough room to remove the alternator.

Follow the procedure below

Click here

Let me know what further questions you have

Thank you

Could you give more details on how to remove the steering pump?

I can give you what is available and what I can describe. Loosen the lock nut on the adjuster and the nuts on the pivot bolt for the pump then turn the adjusting bolt to loosen the belt. Remove the belt and the adjuster from the pump. Remove the pivot bolt and lift the pump out of the way leaving the hoses attached.

You do NOT have to drain the fluid out of the pump just don't turn it upside down.

Click here for procedure

Thank you

I looked at it and saw that it's not the steering pump that's blocking the passage to take it out but the brake master cylinder, the main belt housing (white plastic), and the damper housing. If I take out on the bottom, the alternator bracket is in the way together with the car cross member

The brake master cylinder is on the backside of the engine. The alternator is on the front.

I think I need a picture of what you are seeing.

There is an LX, DX, EX model but not an SE

There is a 1.7L engine but I am not familiar with a YH933348 as you posted above

Let's get on the same page so I can help you.

Is this a Coupe or sedan?

This is a 4 cylinder?

Let me know so I can get you the correct information

See the diagram below for the relationship of the alternator and the power steering pump above it.

Click here

Let me know

Thanks

So sorry I took out the owner's manual and it says it's Honda civic Se 2000 not 2001. It's a coupe, 4 cylinder. The steering pump is on the other side of the belt drive. Sorry for the mis info again

Is it an Si maybe?

Please post the VIN number

Thanks

It says Civic SE on the decal. Vin 2HGEJ6512YH933348. I think it's 1.6 L

Are you sure this starts with a 2 and not a 1?

YOu are correct that a 2000 has a 1.6L with the alternator mounted between the engine e and the firewall but the alternator will come out the bottom. You need to remove the alternator mounting bracket

Click here for the procedure

Let me know what I can do to help you

Thanks

George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
George H.
George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician