Honda

Have Honda Questions? Ask a Honda Repair Expert.

Honda

Honda Accord: Replaced noisy power steering pump; not working now

Customer Question
Due to power steering pump...
Due to power steering pump noise, replaced p/s pump on 2002 Honda Accord (135m miles). After replacing pump, does not seem to be working due to need to use two hands to turn wheels. What did I miss doing or is there something else?
Thanks
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Honda
1/15/2011
Mechanic for Honda: Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic replied 7 years ago
Tim's Auto Repair

hi

if the old pump worked before,you have done the beeding proceedure,the resivoir is full and the pump is installed correctly..i would think the new pump is bad..it dont seem to build up pressure..

thanks

Honda Prelude Accord Civic S2000 2001-2006

Bleeding

Check the reservoir at regular intervals, and add the recommended fluid as necessary. Always use Honda Power Steering Fluid. Using any other type of power steering fluid or automatic transmission fluid can cause increased wear and poor steering in cold weather.

NOTE If the fluid is contaminated, the screen in the reservoir may be partially blocked. Replace the reservoir if necessary.

1. Remove the reservoir from its holder. Raise the reservoir, then disconnect the return hose to drain the reservoir. Take care not to spill the fluid on the body and parts. Wipe off any spilled fluid at once.
    NOTE Inspect the reservoir screen for any debris. If the reservoir screen is clogged, replace the reservoir.
  2. Connect a hose of suitable diameter to the disconnected return hose, and put the hose end in a suitable container.
  3. Start the engine, let it run at idle, and turn the steering wheel from lock-to-lock several times. When fluid stops running out of the hose, shut off the engine. Discard the fluid.
  4. Reinstall the return hose on the reservoir.
  5. Fill the reservoir to the upper level line.
  6. Start the engine and run it at fast idle, then turn the steering from lock-to-lock several times to bleed air from the system.
  7. Recheck the fluid level and add some if necessary. Do not fill the reservoir beyond the upper level line. If the fluid is contaminated, dark, or discolored, repeat the procedure as necessary.

Removal & Installation

• ACCORD AND PRELUDE
  • CIVIC

Accord And Prelude

2001-02 Models

1. Remove the negative battery cable.
  2. Place a suitable container/catch pan under the vehicle.
  3. Loosen the adjusting bolt.
  4. Break loose the mounting bolts and nuts and remove the power steering belt, or release the tension from the belt auto tensioner and remove the serpentine drive belt.
  5. Cover the A/C compressor for Accord or alternator for Prelude, with shop rags to prevent any fluid from spilling into it.
    NOTE Spilling power steering fluid into the alternator assembly can damage the unit.
  6. Detach the pump inlet and outlet hoses, then plug them to avoid getting debris in the system.
    NOTE Power steering fluid will destroy your vehicle-s paint. Use caution and clean up all spills immediately.
  7. Remove the power steering pump mounting bolts, then pull the pump from the vehicle.
    WARNING On Prelude models, do not turn the steering wheel with the pump removed.
  8. Cover the open ends of the pump, with tape, to prevent foreign material from entering the openings.

To install:

1. Installation is the reverse of removal, noting the following steps and specifications.
  2. Please refer to the following fastener tightening specifications:

Power steering pump mounting bolt(s): 17 ft. lbs. (24 Nm) Power steering pump outlet hose fasteners: 8 ft. lbs. (11 Nm) Power steering pump mounting nut: 17 ft. lbs. (24 Nm)
  3. Make note of the following points:
    NOTE Always follow the belt manufacturers tension recommendation if you are not using a genuine Honda belt.

WARNING Substituting another brand may damage internal components.

Make sure all fasteners, hose clamps and fittings are properly installed and tightened. If equipped with a power steering v-belt, properly adjust the belt tension. For more information, refer to the Engine Mechanical Section.

When topping off the system use only Genuine Honda Power Steering Fluid.

Clean any spilled fluid before starting the vehicle. Bleed the system and top off as necessary.

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Installed view of the power steering pump

FIG : View of the power steering hoses

image

4. Click image to see an enlarged view Fig. The power steering pump belt must be seated properly in the pulley

Click image to see an enlarged view Fig. Note the length and position of each pump bolt removed

5. FIG : Exploded view of the power steering pump and bolt tightening specifications image

6. : Using a belt tension gauge to properly adjust the power steering belt after pump installation CLimage

7. : Always measure belt deflection at the longest distance between two pulleys image

8. FIG : Location of typical Honda power steering pump bolt locations image

What are chances that pump would be bad? I drained old fluid from container and replaced with Honda fluid as well.

well

the chances are slim but very possible..sense the new pumps you buy are rebuilt units.....sense it worked before you replaced it,,this is about the only possibility

thanks

Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic