HondaPlatinum
HondaPlatinum, A Technician
Experience:  13 year honda platinum level
3827149

2005 honda element: get my key

I can not get my key into my 2005 honda element ignition more than half an inch?
Ok this is caused by jambed tumblers in the ignition switch. Have you tried another key?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes I have... The key for the gas cap is roughly the same size I've tried that one as well. This occured last night and of course my wife asked "are you sure you're using the right key?" So I've tried both keys I have (the ignition one and the gas cap one) .
Ok is there anything broken in the igntion switch?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No, not that I can tell...When I tried to push the key into the ignition initially, it wouldn't go in at all. But after a few trys I managed to get it in about a half an inch but that's as far as it goes. I've shone a flashlight down the ignition switch and there doesn't seem to be anything blocking it. You can see where the key hole is and there's nothing in the way.
Ok try spraying some wd40 in the ignition and then taping the key in lightly with a hammer the tumblers are most likely jambed. This should free up the tumblers if not a mobile locksmith will be needed.Hoped this helped. Positive feedback and bonuses greatly appreciated.