Honda

Have Honda Questions? Ask a Honda Repair Expert.

Honda

I have got two codes P1456 and P0420. My car is 98 Honda Accord.

I have got two codes...
I have got two codes: P1456 and P0420. My car is 98 Honda Accord. what is wrong with my car? Thanks a lot
8/25/2010
thebesthonda
thebesthonda, ASE MasterTechnician
Chat Conversation Started
thebesthonda :

If you have any more questions or need anything please don't hesitate to ask. If the answer I send helps you, please click ACCEPT.

thebesthonda :

Code 420 is a bad catalytic converter...I have one in my shop right now with the same issue/code.

JACUSTOMER-6a1coo78- :

hi

JACUSTOMER-6a1coo78- :

what about code P1456?

JACUSTOMER-6a1coo78- :

there is a vibration for the car when the speed is around 40 mile/hour

thebesthonda :

Code 1456 is usually a bad evap bypass valve near the fuel tank. I have replaced several of these.

JACUSTOMER-6a1coo78- :

Code P1456 come on firstly and P0420 comes up yesterday. Do they have relationship?

JACUSTOMER-6a1coo78- :

thanks

thebesthonda :

Usually not. These are almost always separate issues.

thebesthonda :

My pleasure.

JACUSTOMER-6a1coo78- :

what about vibration around 40 m/h? DO you think it is a problem?

thebesthonda :

I doubt it. How are the tires?

JACUSTOMER-6a1coo78- :

I do not know

JACUSTOMER-6a1coo78- :

It has no business with the two codes?

JACUSTOMER-6a1coo78- :

could you tell me the exact name of that evap bypass valve? thanks a lot

thebesthonda :

Most vibrations are tire related. Does the vibration stop if you release the accelerator quickly? No, the vibration and the codes are not related.

thebesthonda :

It's called an "evaporator bypass solenoid valve."

JACUSTOMER-6a1coo78- :

how much is it?

thebesthonda :

I am pretty sure the part is around $80 from Honda.

JACUSTOMER-6a1coo78- :

do you mean solenoid switch? I could not find evaporator bypass solenoid valve in autozone website

thebesthonda :

You won't find this part at auto zone...it's dealer only.

JACUSTOMER-6a1coo78- :

last question, how much money should I pay for the diagnosis of the two codes?

JACUSTOMER-6a1coo78- :

thank you very much

thebesthonda :

Diagnosis? That's what we're doing here. You're diagnosed, you just need to buy a catalytic converter and the evap solenoid and have someone install them. They should not charge over 1.5 hours to install both items combined.

JACUSTOMER-6a1coo78- :

Are you sure that? I mean you did not see the car for a second and just judge it by your experience. (no offence, I am sure you are probably right). If the code is on again after I replace the two stuffs, what should I do? MANY THANKS

thebesthonda :

I see these codes weekly. The only possible code for the 420 is a catalytic converter. The evap solenoid is 99% of the time or a loose gas cap (which I'm sure you checked) Honda can test the evap solenoid with a scanner, but honestly, it would cost more to have them check it that the part and labor would cost to simply replace it (most dealers charge an hour minimum...$120) for testing this.

JACUSTOMER-6a1coo78- :

Is there any other potential problem I need to pay attention to? thanks, XXXXX XXXXX to drive it to washington DC from Buffalo (about 500 miles) after I fixed this problem.

thebesthonda :

No, neither of these parts would cause a driveabilty issue until you get them fixed. How many milesare on your Accord?

JACUSTOMER-6a1coo78- :

14 k

JACUSTOMER-6a1coo78- :

A machanic told me that a secondary oxygen sensor may be in problem, is that right? thanks

thebesthonda :

only 14k on a 98? No, that's not the problem.

JACUSTOMER-6a1coo78- :

140 k, sorry

thebesthonda :

Ok, have you repalced the timing belt? How long since a tune up or transmission fluid change?

JACUSTOMER-6a1coo78- :

it is replaced. I bought it for just two month. I do not think the previous owner change them. But I change the oil every 3 mon

JACUSTOMER-6a1coo78- :

It is run well except the engine light

thebesthonda :

"it is replaced. I bought it for just two month. I do not think the previous owner change them. But I change the oil every 3 mon"...what is replaced? The timing belt, transmission fluid, or the tune up parts?

JACUSTOMER-6a1coo78- :

timing belt, I thought because the previous owner have a record about timing belt

JACUSTOMER-6a1coo78- :

How can I know if it is changed?

thebesthonda :

You should be ok on the timing belt if you show a record for it. You can't tell if it's been replaced without actually taking it all apart again. How about the transmission fluid and tune up?

JACUSTOMER-6a1coo78- :

hi

thebesthonda :
JACUSTOMER-6a1coo78- :

I do not know, do I need to change fluid? what is "tune up"?

thebesthonda :

If you don't know for sure on the fluid, yes, I would change it. Use Honda atf-z1 fluid from your Honda dealer. The tune up parts consist of the spark plugs, distributor cap, distributor rotor and air filter and are crucial for fuel economy.

JACUSTOMER-6a1coo78- :

how much money for tune up and how often should I do it? thanks

JACUSTOMER-6a1coo78- :

where are you?

thebesthonda :

Every 50,000 miles. The parts cost around $100 and an hour labor. East Tennessee.

JACUSTOMER-6a1coo78- :

I am in NY state:) it is a long way

thebesthonda :

Lol! Quite a trip.

JACUSTOMER-6a1coo78- :

thanks

JACUSTOMER-6a1coo78- :

should I need to do other maintanence before the long trip (round-up for 1000 miles)

thebesthonda :

Sorry for the delay, no, you should be fine. I would make sure the transmisison fluid was replaced, other than that, you're good.

JACUSTOMER-6a1coo78- :

hi

JACUSTOMER-6a1coo78- :

23

JACUSTOMER-6a1coo78- :

how are you

thebesthonda :

Hello. Is there something else I can do for you?

JACUSTOMER-6a1coo78- :

are you here

JACUSTOMER-6a1coo78- :

I was planing to change converter and I found a dealer yesterday. But I change my mind today and want to drive my car back. When I drive my car, I found the power steering is failed. The dealer told me that he did nothing with my car. When I add gas or drive it more rapid, the control of steer is easier, could you tell me which part did he touch? thanks a lot:) I hate that dealer.

thebesthonda : Hello. Yes, I'm still here.
thebesthonda : What did the dealer actually work on?
JACUSTOMER-6a1coo78- :

that is great

JACUSTOMER-6a1coo78- :

I do not know, he is very angry

JACUSTOMER-6a1coo78- :

do you have any idea about this situation?

JACUSTOMER-6a1coo78- :

you work so hard:)

are you still working now?

I switched this to question and answer format because I'm not near my computer and am responding from my phone...it works better like this.

So you took it to the dealer originally to have the converter replaced? Have you checked the power steering fluid level?
I do not want to replace the converter now. But I found a new problem. The power steering fluid level is good.
The only normal problem I see on these is either the power steering pump or the filter inside the power steering reservoir clogs. Usually the filter. I would first make sure the power steering pump belt is tight, if so, I would replace the reservoir.
How about the flow control valve or some other thing? I am pretty sure that the mechanic did something with my car. But I do not want to confirm this thing, I just want to fix this problem. Besides, the cap of steering wheel has been touched. Thanks
There is no such thing. The most common cause is the filter inside the reservoir. I would remove the reservoir and clean the filter. If the problem persists, you would have to replace the fuel pump. Without a visual inspection, honestly that's all I could suggest.

what should I need to notive whant I remove and clean reservior? thanks a lot

My pleasure. Remove the reservoir and pour the fluid out. Use a can of brake cleaner and spray the inside of the reservoir out. Inside of the reservoir is a filter, make sure you spray it good. Let it completely dry the reinstall.
thebesthonda
thebesthonda, ASE MasterTechnician
why you are not in NY state?:)
do you have pdf edition of repair manual honda accord 1998? I want to buy one

is it like a changing steering fluid?

thanks a lot

Lol! I'm a southern boy. I buy mine from www.helminc.com .....these are great.

If there's anything else you need, let me know, if not please click a green accept so I get credit for my work. Have a great night.
thebesthonda
thebesthonda
thebesthonda, ASE MasterTechnician