HondaPlatinum
HondaPlatinum, A Technician
Experience:  13 year honda platinum level
3827149

2006 Honda Civic: a very loud noise (..rim..sporadic

My 2006 Honda Civic is making a very loud noise (like running your finger around the rim of a wine glass) from time to time. It is a continuous sound, and the volume does not increase or decrease once it starts, but it can range from barely audible to very loud. It had been very sporadic until today; now it's about 50% of the time. The sound disappears above about 30 mph; it is not linked to turning, braking, accelerating, or coasting (it does it during all of those activities). It seems to be triggered by bumps in the road at times. (Bumps also make it go away--or at least they seem to.) Agressively accelerating seems to make it less likely to happen than slow acceleration. It is not linked to the air conditioner. The sound seems to be coming from the right front wheel area, but it's hard to tell. I've had it to the Honda dealership twice, but it hasn't made the noise when they had it. Today they weren't open. Any ideas?
Category: Honda
Expert:  HondaPlatinum replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
HondaPlatinum :

How many miles on the car

Customer:

40,000

HondaPlatinum :

Ok this is under the hood correct?Was the serpinting beltt tensioner checked?

Customer:

Yes, under the hood. If they checked it, they didn't tell me!

HondaPlatinum :

Ok this is the most common issue and needs to be checked next along with the alternator and comprssor and power sterring pump.Most common is the bearing in the belt tensioner fails and causes this issue .There are also issue where the air boxx does not seal correctly making a similar noise.Print this out and have them check these issues next.These are the next steps.Hoped this helped.Positive feedback and bonuses greatly appreciated.

Customer:

OK, thanks.