Honda

Have Honda Questions? Ask a Honda Repair Expert.

Honda

2003 honda accord: starter..cyl..the air intake manifold..i

Customer Question
i need to replace the...
i need to replace the starter on a 2003 honda accord 4 cyl couple.. what is the easiest way to get to it? it seems to be behind the air intake manifold..i dont think i am inclined enough to remove the manifold.. is there any other way
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Honda
7/20/2010
Mechanic for Honda: Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic replied 7 years ago
Tim's Auto Repair

hi

you do need to remove the intake..to change this starter

thanks

Please ACCEPT my answer so I can get credit for my work.i don't receive commission unless you do ..I'm not always going to be giving you good news,so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer.it does not cost you more money.we will still be able to communicate.. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated!if you are not satisfied with my answer,please do not leave bad feed back,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question.PLEASE ASK IF YOU NEED MORE HELP

image

2.4L Engine

1. Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the precautions in the beginning of this section.
  2. Note the radio security code and the radio presets.
  3. Disconnect the negative battery cable. Disconnect the positive battery cable.
  4. Drain the cooling system. Remove the intake manifold.
  5. Disconnect the starter cable from the B terminal on the solenoid. Disconnect the BLK/WHT wire from the S terminal.
  6. FIG : Starter mounting-2.4L engine

image

7. Remove the harness clamp. Remove the harness holder.
  8. Remove the starter retaining bolts. Remove the started from the vehicle.
  9. To install:

1. Installation is the reverse of the removal procedure.
    2. Reprogram the power window control unit as follows.
    3. Turn the ignition switch ON. Lower the window, all the way down. Open the driver-s side door.
    4. Turn the ignition switch OFF. Push and hold the drivers window DOWN switch. Turn the ignition switch ON. Release the driver-s window DOWN switch. This must be done within five seconds.
    5. Repeat the above step three more times. Wait one second.
    6. Confirm that the AUTO UP and AUTO DOWN do not work. If they work repeat the procedure, paying close attention to the five second time limit
    7. Move the driver-s window all the way down by holding the drivers window DOWN switch to the AUTO DOWN position.
    8. Pull up and hold the driver-s window UP switch to the AUTO UP position until the window reaches the fully closed position. Hold the switch for one second.
    9. Confirm that the power window master switch has been reset by using the driver-s window AUTO UP and DOWN function.
    10. If the AUTO UP and DOWN feature is still not working, repeat the complete procedure, paying close attention to the five second time limit.
    11. Set the clock.
  10. intake manifold removal
  11. 2.4L Engine

NOTE Make sure to acquire the anti-theft code from the radio and write down the frequencies for the radio-s preset buttons.
    2. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
    3. Drain the engine coolant into a sealable container.
    4. Remove or disconnect the following:
      NOTE Do not bend the cables during removal. Always replace any throttle or cruise control cables that get kinked during removal.

Intake Air Temperature (IAT) sensor electrical connector Vacuum hose and breather pipe and the air intake duct Intake manifold cover
    5. FIG : Exploded view of the intake manifold and related components-2.4L engine

image

6. Throttle and cruise control cables by loosening the locknuts, then slipping the cable ends out of the accelerator linkage.

Evaporative emission (EVAP) canister hose and brake booster vacuum hose Idle Air Control (IAC) valve connectors Throttle Position (TP) sensor connector Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP) sensor connector Necessary engine wire harness connectors and wire harness clamps from the intake manifold Bolt securing the harness holder and remove the harness clamps Water bypass hoses, then plug them Harness clamp and harness connector from the intake manifold bracket Intake manifold bracket A/T vacuum hose Retainer and intake manifold

To install:

1. Clean the mounting surfaces.
      2. Install or connect the following:

New gasket Intake manifold. Tighten the bolts, in a crisscross pattern beginning with the inner bolt, to 16 ft. lbs. (22 Nm). A/T vacuum hose Intake manifold bracket Harness clamp and connector to the intake manifold bracket Water bypass hoses Bolt securing the harness holder and tighten to 8.7 ft. lbs. (12 Nm) Harness clamps EVAP canister hose and brake booster vacuum hose Throttle and cruise control cables Intake manifold cover Intake air duct IAT sensor connector, vacuum hose and breather pipe
      3. Refill the cooling system.
      4. Connect the negative battery cable, start the engine, and check for leaks.
      5. Reprogram the power window control unit as follows.
      6. Turn the ignition switch ON. Lower the window, all the way down. Open the driver-s side door.
      7. Turn the ignition switch OFF. Push and hold the drivers window DOWN switch. Turn the ignition switch ON. Release the driver-s window DOWN switch. This must be done within five seconds.
      8. Repeat the above step three more times. Wait one second.
      9. Confirm that the AUTO UP and AUTO DOWN do not work. If they work repeat the procedure, paying close attention to the five second time limit
      10. Move the driver-s window all the way down by holding the drivers window DOWN switch to the AUTO DOWN position.
      11. Pull up and hold the driver-s window UP switch to the AUTO UP position until the window reaches the fully closed position. Hold the switch for one second.
      12. Confirm that the power window master switch has been reset by using the driver-s window AUTO UP and DOWN function.
      13. If the AUTO UP and DOWN feature is still not working, repeat the complete procedure, paying close attention to the five second time limit.

Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic