Honda

Have Honda questions? Ask a Honda repair expert.

Check engine light..cylinder..misfire..the spark plugs

Customer Question
My check engine light is...
My check engine light is on. The autozone guy told me the codes are cylinder 1 misfire and cylinder 6 misfire. I recently replaced the spark plugs but did not replace the coil pack. My guess is I would need to replace the coil packs or the o2 sensor. Any educated guesses will save me some $.. Thank you.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Honda
6/29/2010
Mechanic for Honda: thebesthonda, ASE MasterTechnician replied 8 years ago
thebesthonda
thebesthonda, ASE MasterTechnician

Hello and welcome to justanswer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I can assist you with this.

What brand spark plugs did you install? Were you having this same problem previously? Same cylinders?

I installed the platinum four conductor plugs? We were not having any trouble before, we just put the plugs in due to the fact we had 125,000 miles on the stock plugs.
That's most likely the problem. I see a lot of problems with aftermarket plugs in general and especially these. Go to Honda and get the factory plugs...that should solve it.
thebesthonda
thebesthonda, ASE MasterTechnician
Replacing the plugs did not fix the issue. Should I try the coil packs? O2 Sensor? Egr? The car has good power and no driving issues. Just a miss at idle.
Unplug the coils one at a time...the one that does not change the idle is likely bad.

Did you get the same codes again?
I got more codes including random misfire, Cyl 1, 3, 4, 5, & 6 misfire. I disconected the battery to reset the computer. I now do not have any codes. I will need to drive it for a while to see if the problem resurfaces. Thank you again.
Sounds great, keep me posted. If you have the random misfire codes again, you will most likely need the egr cleanout procedure and/or valve adjustment, but give me a yell and we will narrow it down for certain.