Honda

Have Honda questions? Ask a Honda repair expert.

2003 honda: rear hatch..mechanism..the bottom of the inside door panel…

Customer Question
The rear hatch on my...
The rear hatch on my 2003 honda odyssey will not open. The handle appears to no longer be attached to the opening mechanism. I know there are screws on the bottom of the inside door panel to remove this panel, but because the door won't open, I am unable to reach the screws.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Honda
6/29/2010
Mechanic for Honda: thebesthonda, ASE MasterTechnician replied 8 years ago
thebesthonda
thebesthonda, ASE MasterTechnician

Hello and welcome to justanswer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I can assist you with this.

Yes, this is a dilemma that we see a lot. The botXXXXX XXXXXne is, this can not be repaired without removing the interior panel. You just have to be as careful as possible and hope it doesn't break. Once removed, you will usually see the door handle is broken or one of the metal rods that connect to it has come loose. I have an illustration below that shows all the mounting points of the interior panel. This will aid with removal, but please let me know if you need anything.

graphic