Honda

Have Honda questions? Ask a Honda repair expert.

1992 honda: incline....no its not a gas level problem

Customer Question
1992 honda civic.....won't start on...
1992 honda civic.....won't start on an incline....no its not a gas level problem
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Honda
6/29/2010
Mechanic for Honda: MASTER TECH, Honda Technician replied 8 years ago
MASTER TECH
MASTER TECH, Honda Technician

hello welcome to the site

do you know if you have spark or fuel pressure ?

ii have changed the distributor and all the plugs and wires about a year ago to combat this problem...it doesn't happen all the time though......just the other day i was parked in my drive way and the car was on an incline driver sidelower...wouldnotstart....shota lil either wanted to start...pushed it of the incline and it started right up

ok this could be a few things but with out knowing if the car has spark at the spark plug wire or if the car has fuel pressure.

if the car does not start right now then spray some carb cleaner into the intake and then crank it over and see if it starts

the car starts no problem without spray...howdowe checheck fuel symptoms

ok then we need to try this same thing when it does not start .

their is not any faults right now.

if the car did not start with the carb cleaner then we know it would have been a spark issue

could it be a fuelpump or strainer

yes could be.

this only happens when the car is on the incline only ? never a problem when parked on flat ground ?

never

is the fuel tank bent or damaged on the bottom .

usually when this happens the tank is damaged from hitting something or been jacked up on the fuel tank. has this been checked yet ?

nope not bent or damaged in any way...couldit be thefuel filter

i dont think so.

the tank is full when this happens ?

atleast half

ok.

the only thing i can say is to inspect the fuel pump and also look at the strainer and see if their is any damage or anything that looks damaged.

i would also look at the main fuel relay and inspect the circuit board for any pins that look like the solder has gotten hot and melted away a little

where is the main fuel relay

its located to above the fuse box.

graphic

im calling it a night i will return in the am.

have a look at the relay and see if anything looks melted.

master tech

is the fuel pump and sending unit under the back seat

yes this is correct.

please CLICK HERE for fuel pump info