Honda

Have Honda questions? Ask a Honda repair expert.

1993 accord EX: new tranny..wont shift..S Sport Mode lite blinks…

I installed a 1993 accord...
I installed a 1993 accord EX auto tranny into a 1991 accord Ex. The new tranny worked fine in the 1993, now that it's in the 1991, it won't shift and "S" Sport Mode lite blinks on the dash! Any ideas? I think the transmission computers are different on these two accords. Any help would be appreciated!
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/29/2010
MASTER TECH
MASTER TECH, Honda Technician

hello welcome to the site.

yes these are different .

do you have the tcm from the used transmission ?

Thanks for any help! Yes, I have yhe 1991 and 1993 tcm and an additional 1991 tcm I purchased on Ebay.

ok have you installed the 93 tcm yet ?

have you checked to see what codes are stored in the tcm yet ?

No, I haven't installed 1993 tcm yet. I have not checked any codes yet.
ok do you know how to pull the codes from the system ?
No, I don't.

ok please CLICK HERE for self diag info.

i would check this first to make sure this is not a transmission issue.

I was able to drive the 1993 car before I pulled tranny and it shifted fine. I might have forgot to tell you that not only does "S" lite blink on dash cluster, but tranny will not shift.

count the s light also

ok lets check so see what codes are stored.

o k.
i will wait for your results.
I don't understand what you want from me?

its a button i send as i have sent the answer button .

they dont give us any other buttons to use other then the answer button

I do not understand. I do not know how to count the codes.
ok the info i sent talks about this and tells you how to read the flashes on the check engine and the s light.
HondaPlatinum
HondaPlatinum, A Technician
Ok why did you opt the other expert out he is trying to help you pinpoint the issue was this done accidentally?

I am not a certified mechanic. |I could not understand what he was trying to tell me. NOW I have a retired mechanic who can talk to the tech from last nite or another one.

Our question was, can we put a 93 accord ex tranny into a 91 accord ex, and will it work? Ours has a flashing S|port lite on dash cluster and car will not auto shift.

Yes you can you just need to have the 1993 transmission computer installed . About 100 from eBay or salvage yard.Install the 1993 transmission computer under passenger carpet and you will be fine . Also make sure you don't have any harness plugged crossed to the wrong sensor .This is the next step.

Positive feedback and bonuses greatly appreciated.
|I have the 93 computer installed and doing what I described to You. |We can double check connections. Also, tranny we took out would not shift either.
Ok try another transmission computer . I that's does not help it could be an ECM the larger computer or a harness issue.
Is it possible we would need to replace the whole wiring harness? Also,
Is it possible we would need to replace the whole wiring harness?
Possible if you are sure the computer is good . It's the smaller transmission computer that fails . Also seen connectors plugged to the wrong sensor. These are the next steps.

Hoped this helped.

Positive feedback and bonuses greatly appreciated
my buddy wanted to flash the codes for tranny system check, we could not find the tranny code flasher, we only found the blue code flasher. Isn't there a tranny code flasher?
No your issue is either a bad transmission computer , speed sensor not plugged in or harness is bad or crossed connectors on the transmission. These are what will cause these issues .

Hoped this helped.

Thanks! Final question for now. Are the 1991 and 1993 wiring harnesses the same or different? Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX

Same

Don't forget to accept that's the only way we get compensated for our time and expertise . Thanks!
HondaPlatinum
HondaPlatinum, A Technician