Honda

Have Honda questions? Ask a Honda repair expert.

91 honda civic: pass smog..ave..egr valve..5 speeds for that year…

Customer Question
my 91 honda civic wont...
my 91 honda civic wont pass smog. it passes at 15 mph barly but it wont pass at 25 mph. here are my reading NO (ppm) max 774 ave 405 meas 1063 please tell me what the problem is. i know its not the egr valve because there is egr on 5 speeds for that year
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Honda
6/29/2010
Mechanic for Honda: MASTER TECH, Honda Technician replied 8 years ago
MASTER TECH
MASTER TECH, Honda Technician
hello welcome to the site
which screws are you adjusting ?
the air fuel is computer controlled and you can't adjust it.
all the engine sensors do this.

it just wont pass smog at 25 mph its just couple hundered points off and i need it to be smoged by thrusday

ok this could be a lazy 02 sensor which is very common on these to fail and they wont set a code as they are still within range.
what is it off at the hc or nox ?
it soff at the nox. i replaced the 02 sensor so i know its not that
ok this sounds like either a egr that is not working or getting signal or a plugged intake.
if you apply vacuum with a hand vacuum pump does it stall the engine ?

i dont know i havnt tried that yet. if it is that will it stall the engine. and what screw am i turning that is on the throotle body because i have turned that screw before and i just want to make sure. the smog guy told me that it was a hot/lean situation

their is only idle screws on the out side.
yes if the egr valve is working as designed and the intake is not plugged then the engine will stall when you apply vacuum to the egr valve.
if this stalls then we need to look further up in the system like a solenoid or vacuum lines mis routed.
on my smog sheet that i got from the smog tech. it says functional egr N/A does this mean that the egr valve is not working. where is the egr valve located on the intake

please CLICK HERE for egr view

it passed at 15 mph but if it was the egr wouldnt it not pass at all

yes it would.

this is why they do the 25 mhp test to see if the system is working to specs at cruise speeds.

how do u apply the vaccum to the egr valve and what kind of vaccum do i use. will a normal household vaccum work

i need to know excatly where there egr valve is at because i cannot find it where the diagram u gave me shows. its not on either side of the intake and now im wondering if there is even an egr valve on my vehicle