Honda

Have Honda questions? Ask a Honda repair expert.

2001 Honda Civic Ex: leaking..puddle..I dont know much about cars…

My 2001 Honda Civic Ex...
My 2001 Honda Civic Ex (53000 miles) is leaking something, but I'm not sure what it is. I'm pretty sure it's not water, and I've been finding a small puddle underneath the front section pretty often (maybe abouyt 7 inches in diameter). I don't know exactly what part of the car the puddle is under, because I don't know much about cars. Also, there are times when I smell gas after first starting the car...and it's also due for an oil change. Should I just mention it to them when I take it in? Please let me know what you think. Thank you.
6/29/2010
George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician

Hello I will help you with your question,

I would start with the oil change and let them know to check for leaks (part of the service anyway) but don't go to a fast lube shop go to a certified independent shop and for about $5 more than the fast lube a trained, experienced technician will inspect your vehicl and make recommendations along with an estimate for the work required. The shop can help you put the needed repairs in order of priority so that you can do the urgent ones first then do the maintainence items as you can fit them in.

Let me know if you need a recommendation for a shop by positing your zipcode

Thanks

Yes, I would definitely appreciate a recommendation, because I was just going to take it to Jiffy Lube tomorrow (my zip is 33165). How long do you think an oil change somewhere else will take? Also, just as a general idea, do you think this problem will be expensive to fix? I was considering selling my car recently, but finally decided to keep it since it has never given me any problems, and because I also found out that Hondas can last forever with proper maintenance.

Thanks for your help!

Jiffy lube doesn't pay enough to get trianed tech and an oil change elsewhere will take about the same amount of time plus whatever it takes to prepare an estimate for the repair of whatever is leaking.

Do you know how to check your coolant? Or have someone you can ask who does?

Its pretty hot in FLA so I wouldn't want you to overheat your engine if you are leaking coolant.

This is not right next door but it is close

Miami's Quality Auto Repair Inc

4555 SW 71 AVE
Miami, Fl 33155

Mon-Fri 7:30 Am - 6:00 Pm

Telephone: 305-661-4693

Click here for a link to their home page

Please let them know that a fellow iATN member gave you their name and let me know what I can do to help you with this

Thank you

Ok, I will take it tomorrow - thank you.

If you tell me where the container that holds the coolant is located, I can check it myself. I just put the hood up, but wasn't sure which one it was. Also, I just saw the puddle again. It's definitely not water, because it's greasy. I wiped it with a paper towel, and I also touched it. I'm no expert, but it feels like oil.

If you use the heel of your hand to press down firmly and turn 1/4 turn to remove the cap of the radiator when it is cool the coolant should be right to the top. If not top it off with water. This is right in front center of the engine compartment

Click here for diagram

George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician

Ok, done! I had to add quite a bit of water to top it off, and I noticed that the coolant is greasy, too. The only difference is that the stuff that is leaking is not clear.

Thanks for all your help! I will definitely take it in tomorrow.

What would be in your radiator would be green or yellow (might be a bit rusty by now) so the ccolant may be what is leaking. They will find out and let you know the good? news tomorrow

Please let me know if there is anything I can do to help you with this

Thank you

Oh really? Well, then it might be the coolant, because the leaking stuff seems yellowish on paper. I'm definitely hoping for good news.

Thanks again, George! I really (really) appreciate all of your help!

Maggie

Glad to help and thanks for using JA!!