Honda

Have Honda questions? Ask a Honda repair expert.

95 Honda Civic: The did a diagnostic test and said the ignition switch…

Customer Question
I have a 95 Honda...
I have a 95 Honda Civic. The did a diagnostic test and said the ignition switch needs to be replaced. They said the total cost would be $600. This sounded very high to me and want to make sure I'm not being taken to the cleaners! They said they would have to replace the lock cylinder too on this model of civic. Please let me know if this estimate sounds right. Thank you!
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Honda
6/28/2010
Mechanic for Honda: Tim West, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 years ago
Tim West
Tim West, ASE Certified Technician
thanks for visiting Just Answer,
What problem are you having?
the car takes numerous attempts to start. Also, the car stalled while I was driving it. Once I started it again I could go a few miles then it would stall again.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX vehicles are well known for their ignition switch issue. So hearing this vehicle needing a new ignition switch (especially with the stalling complaint) sound very reasonable as far as what the problem is. So I agree with the shop wanting to make the repair.
For the shop wanting to replace the lock cylinder I think that is not needed.
Most of the time the electrical switch will take care of this problem.
I would recommend only having the shop replace the ignition switch.

The labor for this calls for a 1.4 hours of labor. So multply that by the shops labor rate. That is the price you should pay for labor. (Plus whatever else you have had done)
As far as the price for the part, what is he asking?
Well, he said that the switch and lock cylinder come as one unit on this model and that is why they needed to replace both. Is this correct?
oh that's right, this one is an assembly, that is why it's so expensive.
Is this an A/T?
Are they getting the part aftermarket I show one for 80$ click here
Can you get the break down of parts + labor?
ITs a manual. I can ask for a breakdown.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX switch is alot more than the A/T one.
let me know,
I just called and they said that the part at after market price was 426. I let him know I saw one online for 225 after market and he said this was the cost with their markup. The labor is around 150. Does this sound right. A $200 markup??
Yes, the mark up on parts is high.(sometimes 2.5x the amount) warranty reasons and everything else.

The labor seems right

You could make the repair yourself and save $$.
But everything looks in order, they are being honest about the mark up and the labor is on the nose.
Tim West
Tim West, ASE Certified Technician
ok, thanks for your help
Thanks for the accept. Good luck.